• Welcome to the new Mac-Forums. See News and Community Announcements for more details.

Extend range of Time Capsule

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
I use an Apple AirPort Time Capsule as my wireless router. It serves the house well.

However, I have an outside deck on the opposite end of the house from where the router is located. As a result, I do not get a wireless signal when we're on the deck. My wife is a big iPad user and would like to access our home network when she's out there. (She loves to facetime with the grandchildren.)

I'm assuming some sort of "wi-fi" extender is in order, but I admit I'm not at all knowledgeable about what equipment I need and the hook-up that would be required.

Ideas and suggestions would be most welcome! :D

In advance, thanks.

chscag

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, Numerous iPods, Catalina
I guess you already know that Apple has gotten out of the Airport business and instead is recommending other manufacturers.

But to answer your question regarding extenders for WiFi, here is a review of best WiFi extenders from Tom's Guide:

The best Wi-Fi extenders in 2020 | Tom's Guide

Make sure you inquire whether or not any extender you choose will work with your TC.

PS: Hope you're staying safe out there on the "Island". I went to school in Valley Stream. A long time ago :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
I guess you already know that Apple has gotten out of the Airport business and instead is recommending other manufacturers.

But to answer your question regarding extenders for WiFi, here is a review of best WiFi extenders from Tom's Guide:

The best Wi-Fi extenders in 2020 | Tom's Guide

Make sure you inquire whether or not any extender you choose will work with your TC.

PS: Hope you're staying safe out there on the "Island". I went to school in Valley Stream. A long time ago :)
I wasn't aware that Apple got out of the Airport business. Hmmmm.....

I went to school in North Merrick. Also a long time ago. Now live in Suffolk county.

Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
I have an outside deck on the opposite end of the house from where the router is located. As a result, I do not get a wireless signal when we're on the deck.
Have a read of Apple's suggestion:
Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations
Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations – Apple Support

You didn't mention whether your wife's Mac needed access to the TC for backups etc.

You could create your own secondary wi-fi network with repeaters if needed, and keep the TC on a separate network.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Have a read of Apple's suggestion:
Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations
Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations – Apple Support

You didn't mention whether your wife's Mac needed access to the TC for backups etc.

You could create your own secondary wi-fi network with repeaters if needed, and keep the TC on a separate network.

- Patrick
======
Wife's iPad not backed up to TC.

Will review the Apple Support material.

THANKS!!