• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Exported from iMovie, can't play in Adobe Premiere

Reaction score
Recently, I put together a commercial using iMovie. The television channel requested I export it to them as an .avi using PAL, 4:3, Progressive.

It plays fine in Quicktime and Windows Media Player but comes out pixelated in Adobe.

Why? The only thing I can think of is that under the option of "key frame rate" under PAL, I chose the option of "Best" instead of 24...Still, if I already set it to PAL, shouldn't that not be an issue?

Thanks for your help. :)

C

chas_m

I am not clear on why you feel you need to copy into Premiere at all.

Export the file from iMove as .DV, then use something like MPEG Streamclip (free) to convert it to avi.

OP
E
Reaction score
The commercial is to be played on the station's Adobe Premier player. They asked me to convert it to .avi for them. I did that with iMovie.

C

chas_m

Sorry, I appear to have accidentally deleted a section in my original post. The "lost paragraph" talked about how AVI is a container and not a format, therefore the issue with Premiere is that it doesn't understand the video/audio codec choices iMovie made within its AVI output.

By suggesting MPEG Streamclip, I was trying to suggest that if you use a program that allows you to set which codecs you want to use, you can make an AVI that conforms to what your clients want.

It all makes more sense now, eh? :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.