export/import PDF

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
I hope I have the correct forum for this.
Heading out soon for a much needed Disney vacation. I have been receiving all kinds of notes, info, etc from Mickey through email. Wanting to make copies for family left home, I export the html rich emails to PDF or I print them. The location of the page breaks is often in a poor location, as one would expect when printing, but I also notice the page breaks are in poor locations even when I export to PDF. Is there any way to export to PDF without those page breaks showing where they show? Along the same theme--how about being able to adjust the page breaks when printing? Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I hope I have the correct forum for this.
Heading out soon for a much needed Disney vacation. I have been receiving all kinds of notes, info, etc from Mickey through email. Wanting to make copies for family left home, I export the html rich emails to PDF or I print them. The location of the page breaks is often in a poor location, as one would expect when printing, but I also notice the page breaks are in poor locations even when I export to PDF. Is there any way to export to PDF without those page breaks showing where they show? Along the same theme--how about being able to adjust the page breaks when printing? Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Not easily. Bear in mind that PDFs are intended to replicate a printed document, so when you save something as a PDF, you have similar limitations as printing. What you can do is change the "paper size". The default is "US Letter" (in the US anyway), but you can change that to "US Legal" or any of a handful of other page sizes. You could even make a custom size and save the copies as one large page if need be.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You could even make a custom size and save the copies as one large page if need be.

I never thought to try that. Good idea. If that works it might make it into this weeks show.

Edit: I can get a longer page when creating a pdf using the OS X print dialog. I haven't found a series of settings yet that produced no page breaks. I suppose the easiest way to do this would be to set the vertical dimension of the page to some ridiculous number. Testing that next.

Edit 2: I tested with this forum thread which normally prints as a 15 page pdf. Increasing the vertical dimension of the page to 110" and all margins to 0" in the Custom Page size dialog produced two continuous pages with the entire thread. The only drawback being there was quite a bit of blank space at the bottom of the page. I suppose if I had bothered to do the math I could have worked out a better number.

Last edited:
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have canon mg6320 printer but I see no way to change paper size. What am I missing

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the driver for my Canon Pixma MP 990 it's in the drop down where you select paper size. In addition to Letter, Legal etc.. The last entry in my list is something like Manage Custom Paper size. That brings up a dialog sheet where you can set paper size. I set the vertical height of the paper to something like 110 inches and all margins to 0 inches. Then choose that paper size when creating the pdf.

If you can't change settings click Duplicate in the left side of that window first then make the setting changes to the copy.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slydude,
I was in the process of taking screen shots of my print dialog to show what I was experiencing when I clicked on the "SHOW DETAILS" next to the PDF box. So here it is. Always saw this when I printed from other programs, just not from my browser. Thanks for getting me to explore more of the choices I have.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. Hope that sorts things out for you.

I sometimes need travel directions which I usually save as PDFs on my phone or iPad just in case I don't have a good signal for continuous updating. The page breaks always occur in bad places. Never thought of using this method to fix that till Lifeisabeach made the suggestion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.