Expensive Powerbook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 15' - Ultimate Drive- 100GB hard drive
Hey all,

Now i bought my powerbook in September 2005 and I decided to upgrade to the ultimate drive and the memory upgrade and spent quite a bit of money on it. I don't know the exact amount but much more than any of my friends have spent on a laptop. (upwards of 3000, i'll have to get the bill out) I bought it from the apple store so i was not ripped off. I was worried that I had spent to much. and really felt that way after the new macbooks came out. They were cheap and they were faster than my laptop. :(
The people who bought powerbooks around the same time as me spend less than me. But all of their computers are filled up now (I'm in a photography course and have upwards of 2000 photo's on my laptop, about 1000 or more are RAW images and also many of those oringinal files have PSD equivalents)

I want to be able to use my powerbook for many years. I was thinking that i would just get a monitor for doing all my photoshop work. Do you guys think that i will be able to survive in the photography world using my powerbook as my location laptop? or when the time comes will i have to upgrade to the latest laptop of the day?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If your Powerbook is serving your needs, then it will do just nicely as Apple computers are built to last. This is quite evident in their amazing resale value :black:

Plus, I don't think you're actually worried about losing performance. I think you're experiencing "latest and greatest" envy ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I hope these images are somewhere else other than just your laptop...however either way you should invest in a external hard drive and store your images there, deleting them from the laptop after they have served their immediate need purposes.

You could easily get a large external drive and partition it or two external drives so that you have backups of the files.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the responses, and yes i think i am suffering form latest and greaatest envy.

Also I have been looking onto the external harddrives.

Any suggestions on which brand?

Any drives that work better with macs?

500GB is more than enough for what I'll be using it for now. Any suggested pricing?

thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
buy a lacie, i got one and its great! it was really cheap to, go to www.newegg.com and youll find them their for good prices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I have a 400GB Seagate that has given me no problems, I think as long as you stick with the major brands you should be relatively safe.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how much did that set you back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
buy a lacie, i got one and its great! it was really cheap to, go to www.newegg.com and youll find them their for good prices.

It bugs me when people give trashy advice. LaCie drives are cheap, poorly built and prone to failure. The porsche line is considered some of the lowest quality drives that are massively available.

Try a G-Drive. Its very popular with photographers and the like.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...efault?tag2=amd-google-20?tag=macforums0e4-20 for amazon G-Drive listings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.