exernal drive

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is this "trail camera" an external drive or a camera? Thread title says "external drive".

If it's a camera. It may not be compatible with Yosemite...or needs some sort of a software driver update.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Since I post last I discovered that it isn't reading (recognizing, finding/ whatever) my Nikon either.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is always the risk when upgrading a computers OS. The upgraded OS may make older software & hardware incompatible. Sometimes this can be "cured"...if there's a software update for the software...or a driver update for the hardware. The first thing I would do is...visit the manufacturers website for each of these devices...and see if there are any updates.

Just so we know...what OS version did you upgrade from?

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since I post last I discovered that it isn't reading (recognizing, finding/ whatever) my Nikon either.

This is an on going battle with cameras and SD cards. Just buy an inexpensive USB SD card reader and use that instead to transfer photos to your Mac. All new Macs already have a built in SD card reader.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
This is an on going battle with cameras and SD cards. Just buy an inexpensive USB SD card reader and use that instead to transfer photos to your Mac. All new Macs already have a built in SD card reader.

@ Careyquest - agree w/ the above - does you Mac (don't know if you have a DT or laptop) have a SD card reader? I've own a half dozen digital cameras over the years and all of my laptops had SD slots - the easiest way to get your pics onto your computer.

There are SD cards now w/ Wi-Fi built- in - called Eyefi - have not given them a try yet; but, I do own an AirStash device (shown below) that sets up its own Wi-Fi network (works best w/ an iDevice and its own app; but can be viewed in a web browser) - Dave :)

61N5caGHcnL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
C
Reaction score
I guess the SD card reader is the best solution. I am surprised, however, that Yosemite is having a problem with such a simple function.

Thanks guys

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess the SD card reader is the best solution. I am surprised, however, that Yosemite is having a problem with such a simple function.

It's not Yosemite that is having a problem...it's the hardware (camera's) that are having a problem with Yosemite. I'm going to bet that these camera's are not the newest. The older the hardware (camera's in this case)...the more chance there is of a problem with the newest OS of ANY computer.

When a new OS version comes out...it's the manufacturers of the hardware that decide if they want to continue supporting the newest Mac OS by updating the drivers for the camera's. If the camera's are getting old...then the camera manufacturer may decide to "ophan" the old hardware (camera's).

Just think of the BAZILLION different camera models released over the last 5 years. Now add to that the number of other devices that we like to attach to our Mac's. Can you imagine the 1000's and 1000's of devices the newest Mac OS would need to be compatible with?? Can you imagine the folks at Apple insuring that these 1000's & 1000's of devices are compatible...no way! This is why it's up to the manufacturer's of each device to insure compatibility.:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
The camera is a nikon cool pix p80 that i bought in 2008. So, yeah it isn't state of the art. The trail camera is only two years old though... so I don'r know what the problem is there.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The trail camera is only two years old though... so I don'r know what the problem is there.

Try the manufacturer's website...and see if there are any updated drivers for Yosemite. There are also probably internet forums devoted to this manufacturers products (maybe even this specific model). See if anyone else is having a problem with Yosemite...and if they found a fix (if you don't find anything at the manufacturer's website).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.