Excel for Mac - Relative Path for iCloud Drive

Reaction score
Having just moved some of my Excel files into iCloud Drive, the embedded hyperlinks to cells in other excel files only seem to work as absolute paths.

Is there a way that I can change the path so that it only references the iCloud Drive, this way the links will work no matter whether I am accessing the file from my iMac or my MacBook Pro.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
iCloud Drive has no path that's meant to be user accessible. I hadn't thought of how this might be frustrating but yes, if you're using relative paths, it might be difficult. The simple answer as you've discovered is to use absolute paths but this makes them harder to move (between machines).

I suppose my question is "do you have to use iCloud Drive"? There are other cloud solutions out there that let you choose where files are stored.

OP
H
Reaction score
vansmith,

Thanks for your reply. I think it is fair to say that I have a preference for using ICloud Drive just because it is currently free and seems well integrated to the rest of the Mac OS.

I'm just wondering if other cloud (or file sync) solutions may suffer from the same issue....

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You mention that you're using Excel. If that's the case, there are much better cloud offerings (OneDrive and to an extent Dropbox have much much better Office support). These other ones won't suffer from this issue as the folders that get synced are regular folders like any other so relative paths will work as you expect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.