EVGA GeForce GTX 285 vs NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800

Reaction score
How good is the EVGA GeForce GTX 285 for gaming on Mac? And same goes for the NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Mate you might want to be careful as i read a thread of your asking the same sort of questions and a lot of them.
Just bring back the old thread as then people can read as to what the forum and its members has replied to you ....
Would be easier than going through it all again :)
Looks like rain down your way today ... Enjoy it you need it :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 15inch I7 2.3/250 Intel SSD/8 gigs RAM
well if you are planning on buying a mac pro i would say wait, unless of course you need it now. or unless you are buying a refurbed one due to the idea that updates are imminent. with the warnings out of the way the gtx285 is a great way to go. good for games up to 30inch resolutions; albeit sometimes you have to reduce graphical futures for the sake of fluidity.

are you a cad designer or engineer? if not i would stay away from the fx4800.

as unlike the windows side you can not chose the drivers as apple does that for you. the quadro drivers are signed and registered. most people are tempted by the large quantities of vram but dont let that fool you.

if you arent running at too high of a resolution get the ati 4870 to save a little coin. the performance difference is negligible between the 4870 and the gtx285.

OP
Mercedes1787
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll probably get a Mac Pro next year (with a 30" display so EVGA gtx 285 is a yes for me, or an Nvidia GTX 2xx [or 3xx if the 2011/2010 MP supports it)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.