Eureka ! Finally ....... sleep mode is normalized.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
Ever since upgrading to Mojave I've had issues coming out of sleep mode. Those issues got progressively worse over time until it occasionally required a hard re-boot. I reset PRAM and NVRAM the first time I mentioned the issue here, but there was no change. I downloaded the most recent Mojave supplemental update yesterday. Lo and behold, close the cover, it goes to sleep, open the cover it wakes up! Funny how something so simple can be such a frustration.

I was going to upgrade to Catalina even though there are no new features I want or need simply to avoid the annoyance of the sleep issues. I still plan on updating, but not until a few more of the bugs are worked out.

It seems many folks write here with a problem, but don't always follow up with a successful outcome. I think that's just as important. That said, if this problem rears it's ugly head again, I'll be sure to whine about it again, but right now I'm a happy camper. ;-)

ken

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you, Ken, for the feedback which, as you say, is vital to closing the loop - question, answers, solution.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thank you, Ken, for the feedback which, as you say, is vital to closing the loop - question, answers, solution.

Ian

Likewise, +1!!!

And for others with possibly the same problem and who may think they have already done the supplemental update, they might be surprised to find but there are several with almost the same name updates. And I'm assuming you have now done them all.

But talk about confusing:
If this update sounds a little like deja vu, it’s likely because there have been several other supplemental updates released for MacOS 10.14.6. Despite being labeled as “macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update 2”, technically speaking, this is actually the third supplemental update to macOS 10.14.6 with build 18G103 after the second (build 18G95) was released with the same name to replace the first supplemental update (admittedly a little confusing, but that’s how it has played out).
MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update 2 Released

At least they finally seem to have solved the sleep-wake problem that was getting rather tiresome to read about.

- Patrick
======

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
Likewise, +1!!!

And for others with possibly the same problem and who may think they have already done the supplemental update, they might be surprised to find but there are several with almost the same name updates. And I'm assuming you have now done them all.

But talk about confusing:

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update 2 Released

At least they finally seem to have solved the sleep-wake problem that was getting rather tiresome to read about.

- Patrick
======

And here I thought I was the only one. Seriously though, I can be a bit of a troglodyte with software issues and always fear that on some level I did something stupid. I have actually screwed a few things up all by myself once or twice.

Not only did the update fix my problem, the computer is running better than ever. Editing RAW picture files in Photos takes about 1/4 of the time, no lag at all coming out of sleep mode either. I thought initially that I had the power saver settings set to never turn off, but that's not the case. Sweet.

ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This is interesting. I developed a problem coming out of sleep mode on my 2012 MacBook Air that I was never able to resolve. It started 3 weeks or so ago, and persisted even when booted into Windows. I had long been on Mojave and Catalina didn't change anything, so I was certain it was hardware or firmware related. I might have to take one more stab at Mojave on the old one with this update.

EDIT: welp. never mind that. I had that update in place already. I thought it was a new update but it was actually a few weeks ago. Hmmmph. Maybe that update had the inverse effect on mine?

Last edited:
OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
..... never mind that. I had that update in place already. I thought it was a new update but it was actually a few weeks ago. Hmmmph. Maybe that update had the inverse effect on mine?

Make sure it's build 18G95

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Ever since upgrading to Mojave I've had issues coming out of sleep mode. Those issues got progressively worse over time until it occasionally required a hard re-boot. I reset PRAM and NVRAM the first time I mentioned the issue here, but there was no change. I downloaded the most recent Mojave supplemental update yesterday. Lo and behold, close the cover, it goes to sleep, open the cover it wakes up! Funny how something so simple can be such a frustration.

I was going to upgrade to Catalina even though there are no new features I want or need simply to avoid the annoyance of the sleep issues. I still plan on updating, but not until a few more of the bugs are worked out.

It seems many folks write here with a problem, but don't always follow up with a successful outcome. I think that's just as important. That said, if this problem rears it's ugly head again, I'll be sure to whine about it again, but right now I'm a happy camper. ;-)

ken

Great to hear back from you. So often we don’t when problems have been solved.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Hi,

I just joined this forum as I had searched on the phrase 'Mojave 10.14.6 (18G103) not waking from sleep' and came across this thread.

My experience is the opposite of the OP, I never had a problem with Mojave waking from sleep until I upgraded to Supplemental Upgrade 2 (18G103). Since then, I am having this issue on a daily basis, combined with several other issues on my 2016 Macbook Pro 15" with Touch Bar. One of these other issues is a sudden failure to respond to my external track pad or even the built-in track pad. But, this is less frequent that the failure to wake from sleep. There is also a problem now with the OWC Thunderbolt II Dock occasionally disconnecting my USB drives.

I wonder whether anyone else has experienced any of this with this update.

Graham

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I wonder whether anyone else has experienced any of this with this update.

No problems here as I can't even run it, :Smirk: but the suggestions from hempomatic above are always a good recommendation and start.

You may also want to try downloading and installing the proper appropriate Mac Update again and maybe this one:
macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update
Download macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Have you updated your PRAM and NVRAM? It appears that this may also be necessary.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

I have no concept if that will help with any of the other issues you described.

ken

I hadn't reset PRAM or NVRAM at the time of first posting, but I have now. So far this morning the problem has not re-surfaced, but it's too early to say whether this has solved the problems. I will give an update after a couple of days to report on the result.

Graham

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hadn't reset PRAM or NVRAM at the time of first posting, but I have now. So far this morning the problem has not re-surfaced, but it's too early to say whether this has solved the problems. I will give an update after a couple of days to report on the result.

Graham

Hey Graham, please do. I'm glad you responded that the update didn't work for you. I'd HATE to steer anyone in the wrong direction. If updating PRAM and NVRAM resolves your issues, then it seems apparent that both things should be updated.

ken

Reaction score
The problem re-occurred this morning - repeatedly. It has occurred 6 times in about 15 minutes making it far worse than it had been before resetting PRAM and NVRAM. In fact, since starting to type this on another computer it has occurred another 6 times.

But, today there is a slight difference. Before today, the Macbook would freeze when sleeping and, if it eventually woke up without needing a re-boot, I would get the message that the OWC Thunderbolt Dock 2 had ejected all connected USB drives. If, however, it re-booted I got a pop-up window saying the computer stopped due to an problem and would I like to report this. The generated report said, among other things, "No MCA data found." - or words to that effect.

Today, I'm getting the message before the Macbook freezes to say that the OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock ejected all connected USB drives and then the Macbook froze or even re-booted itself. Every report following a re-boot contains the same message "No MCA data found".

Could the OWC Thunderbolt Dock be the cause of the problem? If so, is it being caused by the latest Mojave update or is this just a coincidence?

There is just one other sneaking suspicion in my mind. I have 2 external monitors attached to the Macbook, one via the OWC thunderbolt Dock and the other via a Hyperdrive USB-C hub. The freezes seem recently (certainly today) to be occurring in the mornings when the sun shines into my office and onto the right-hand side of the Macbook where the Hyperdrive is connected. The OWC Thunderbolt Dock remains in the shade at all times.

I waited for the sun to move before completing this message, the sun has moved away from the Macbook/Hyperdrive and no more crashes/freezes have occurred in the last 15 minutes. I will have to carry out trials to see whether the sun is causing this, perhaps the Macbook just gets too hot.

Again, I will report back here with any results I can get.

Graham

Reaction score
I'm not sure what happened here, I responded 2 days ago and the message was visible on this thread that day, but there is no sign of the message today. One other message seems to have disappeared as well.

So, to repeat, as of 2 days ago, the problem seemed to have been resolved. The Macbook had not crashed or frozen for 2 days even when the sun shines directly on the laptop. It was also OK yesterday.

But, this morning, it froze again soon after the sun fell on the laptop and would not wake up. I had to force a re-boot. After re-booting, I got an error message/report including - "CATERR detected! No MCA data found." Looking at the thread associated with external monitors, I see that there was a suggestion that LG monitors had a problem with Mac HDMI output which can be resolved with a firmware update for the monitor. One of my monitors is an LG, so I will look at how to update its firmware.

I really don't think the laptop getting heated by the sun is the cause, it's simply not that hot to the touch. It rests on a laptop support with a built-in cooling fan blowing up to the underside of the laptop.

I notice that yesterday I was advised of yet another security update to Mojave called "Security Update 2019-001", I wonder whether anyone has installed it yet.

Graham

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I notice that yesterday I was advised of yet another security update to Mojave called "Security Update 2019-001", I wonder whether anyone has installed it yet.

Did you read thru our forum threads....? We posted that information several days ago. Please read the thread for information regarding the security update.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I find it profoundly unlikely that sunlight has anything to do with your issues. Have you tried unplugging the external monitors to see if the problem repeats itself with just the laptop running?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.