Error Message for Messages App

Reaction score
Hi,

A few days ago, I tried to open "Messages" on my computer but kept getting this error msg: “An internal Messages error occurred.”
Says to restart computer, that doesn’t help.
OS X EL CAPITAN
VERSION 10.11.4
MACBOOK PRO
LATE 2011

What should I do?

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the link. I did update to OS to 10.11.6. But "Message" still doesn't work.
Do you have any other ideas?
Thank you,
Lynn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I would sign out of Messages and then sign back in.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi Bob,

When I click on Messages, I get the error msg. and can't do anything else. How can I sign out if I can't open it at all? Is there a way to sign out?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Open your user folder and look inside the Preferences folder and look for a series of Messages preferences. Move those preferences somewhere else temporarily. Now try to launch Messages and see what happens. If things work then you can delete the preferences files that you moved.

You may need to unhide your library. These directions should get it done for you.

OP
P
Reaction score
Is this correct place to be?

Users>Admin>Library>Preferences

All that I found in preferences were these two folder:

com.apple.imessage.bag.plist
com.apple.messaging.expire.plist

should I delete these two files?

In the Library folder was also Messages with a folder of Archives, Attachments and files that say:

chat.db
chat.db-shm
chat.db-wai

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If Admin is the name of your user account then I think you are in the right place. Rather than delete the files I would move them out of that folder temporarily and move it somewhere like the Desktop then launch Messages. That way you can put those files back if it does not solve the problem.

OP
P
Reaction score
It worked. yay!! Thank you!!
Should I delete those two files and the Message folder. Or just the two files:

com.apple.imessage.bag.plist
com.apple.messaging.expire.plist

I'm hoping to keep some of the old messages or is it best to get rid of all of them?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to keep the messages I'd probably leave the folder intact. As for the preference files. Leave the old ones around a bit and if everything is OK then it's probably safe to delete them.

Reaction score
Hello - I have been struggling with the same super frustrating problem and tried all the suggestions here and from other websites. I called Apple Support and they escalated the case but concluded they could not help me. I gave up and then . . . here's what FINALLY worked for me (by accident): I decided to clean up and delete several old text messages that I had on my iPhone and all of the sudden Messages started working on my MacBook Pro. Give it a try!

Mojave OS 10.14.6
iOS 13.5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.