Error massage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-2004 15"MacBook Pro-'08, 17" MBP-'09
I have a Mac Mini 2.1, using OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), Intel core duo, 2meg of RAM & 120 Gig HD. The following message appears on-screen, and I'm not sure how to get rid of it permanently:
System Extension cannot be used ( in bold) followed by:
The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/ Apple/USBthenetHost.kext" is installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it or contact the product's vendor for an update.
What's going on? HELP!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a Mac Mini 2.1, using OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), Intel core duo, 2meg of RAM & 120 Gig HD. The following message appears on-screen, and I'm not sure how to get rid of it permanently:
System Extension cannot be used ( in bold) followed by:
The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/ Apple/USBthenetHost.kext" is installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it or contact the product's vendor for an update. What's going on? HELP!

It's a bug. Unless you plan on using an external ethernet host adapter to connect to the internet, you can safely rename that kext file and forget about it. Here's how to find it:

Open your Finder and go to:

Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext/

Then rename the AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext to AppleUSBEthernetHostKext.save
and you're done. No more error.

Make sure you go to the correct Library! It's the one directly under "System" and is not hidden as the USER library is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.