(Error code -36) when copying to external hard drive

Reaction score
hello everybody,
I own a macbook with snow leopard and I am facing a problem with an external hard drive that I bought recently. It's a MyPassport SE 1TB. The drive was initially formated in NTFS but as I have Paragon NTFS I had full support from the beggining and also the software that comes with the drive is totally mac compatible. The problems started when I partitioned the disk in order to have one partition for the time machine (formated as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) and the other for files ( NTFS ). After this conversion, whenever I try to copy a folder with movies to the NTFS partition I get an (Error code -36) message saying that the file can not be written.. Of course I don't have the same problem when I copy the folder to the other partition but the wierd thing is that nor did I have it when I first bought the drive.. I change the Paragon with the NTFS3G but no results.. I could really use some help from the experts because I run out of alternatives... thank you very much for your help guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I'm not sure about paragon, but ntfs-3g only runs on the 32bit kernel ... any chance you're booted into 64bit?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To elusive:

See if the following article helps. You could be experiencing the same problem.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
chscag thank you so much!!! Even if the article talks about FAT32 format the solution offered worked perfectly for my problem to! You saved me from a lot of troubles ;)

scathe you are right about ntfs3g, paragon stable version also uses as 32bit kernel but know I have the beta installed that supports 64bit, by the way since I am new in SL how do I know if I am booted in 32 or 64 bit..?

Thank you all once again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.