Error code -36 and -50 when copying/opening files

Reaction score
I have been able to successfully copy files to/from a 1TB external drive and "suddenly" I am having major problems.

These are not large files. Most of them are files from my students and they are all under 3mb each.

.tif, .jpg, .psd, etc. seems to make no difference.

The students save their files to a specific folder on the external drive. I look at the and then move them a "completed" folder that they can look at, but not write to.

"Suddenly" I am having all kinds of issues with these files. I am having trouble opening many of the files and I get the message that I can't open the file because of a program error. I got around that by copying the file to my desktop and then opening it. [I never had that problem until this week. :(]

Then, when I try to put them in the completed folder, I get a -50 error message, whether I'm moving it from the desktop on the local computer or from one folder to another on the external.

HELP!!!! This is screwing up my system for keeping track and grading the kids work. I'm usually pretty good about fixing problems, but I can't figure this one out.

Best,

DrDebi

Screen Shot 2011-11-09 at 4.29.06 PM.png

Open File.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Any chance that the application that created those files is still open when you are moving the files? (Looks like application errors)

OP
D
Reaction score
Do you mean on the sending computer or the receiving one? It can't be on the sending ones because the kids save their files to the external and then they shut down.
Photoshop is open on my computer because I am often looking at the files in Photoshop, closing them and then moving them into the completed folder. This structure is the same as it has been since the start of the year. Nothing new ... except for the error messages. :(
Any other ideas?

Best,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
No, it still seems to me that you are getting these errors because the files are still open in photoshop. Any possibility you close the window but not the application sometimes?

OP
D
Reaction score
I NEVER close Photoshop before I copy the files to the new folder on the external. I will try closing Photoshop before attempting to copy them tomorrow when I'm back in the classroom to see if that makes any difference.

So, if I understand you correctly you are saying that I need to close the file AND Photoshop before I move those files from one folder to another on the external?

Best,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I'm saying the error messages indicate that photoshop is complaining when you move those files.

Reaction score
Might try using Terminal

Hey there. I'm assuming you've probably resolved this by now, but it didn't seem like it got solved here, so I just wanted to suggest using the Terminal instead of Finder when copying your files. Granted, this is a bit more time consuming -- and it's annoying considering we're now in the year 2012 and have to resort to 1980s tactics in order to do simple things like copy files. However, I was having all sorts of error code 36 problems (running OSX 10.6.8) when copying to/from external drives, and this is what solved it:

MacMost Now 233: Using Terminal to Copy Files

hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.