Error Code - 1309

Reaction score
I'm trying to copy a 45GB iMovie project from my MBP to my external hard drive (USB 2.0)... and around 4GB in, it will give me this error.
From what I understand, there is some sort of 4GB limit =/ which I don't quite understand the boundaries of... what does the limit pertain to? Would this also happen with a Firewire HD?!
I can't split the file, so I need some help to get this monster OFF of my poor laptop.
Any suggestions for settings, etc?! Or suggestions for better external hard drives (if that could fix the problem)?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Fat32 has a max filesize of 4GB. From what you say, I assume you have Fat32 - so yah, that's the problem. And with fat, there is actually nothing you can do about it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Fat32 has a max filesize of 4GB. From what you say, I assume you have Fat32 - so yah, that's the problem. And with fat, there is actually nothing you can do about it.

So what... wouldn't_be_fat?!
I'm completely down with buying a new external Lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
You don't need to buy a new drive :)

If you are only going to be using the external drive with Macs, use Disk Utility to create an HFS+ filesystem on it instead of the FAT one that's already there and you'll be able to use it with all the facilities of your internal drive's Mac partitions.

OP
P
Reaction score
You don't need to buy a new drive :)

If you are only going to be using the external drive with Macs, use Disk Utility to create an HFS+ filesystem on it instead of the FAT one that's already there and you'll be able to use it with all the facilities of your internal drive's Mac partitions.

=O This sounds promising!
Okay, so I've found Disk Utility, no problem... could you give me a quick idiots guide to setting this up properly =/
Just a quick list of steps would be greatly appreciated!!!

M

MacHeadCase

As long as you don't have any data on that external that you want to keep ('cause it'll be erased), you should be able to launch Disk Utility from your internal hard drive and, from the left side, you ought to be able to spot your external, choose it and select to reformat using HFS+ by clicking on Erase.

Disk_Utility.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Or you could use a file spllitter and create 11 4 gig bits and trabsfer them....I am assuming you can get file splitters for Mac use.

But I would reformat in Mac HFS+ personally

OP
P
Reaction score
As long as you don't have any data on that external that you want to keep ('cause it'll be erased), you should be able to launch Disk Utility from your internal hard drive and, from the left side, you ought to be able to spot your external, choose it and select to reformat using HFS+ by clicking on Erase.

PERFECT! Thank you SO much, I will be doing this! =)

OP
P
Reaction score
YESSS! It worked! =) Quite well, actually.
Thanks so much for the help... it was MUCH needed and this is working quite swimmingly =P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.