Error code 1005f

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a MacBook air I am trying to recover.

The hard drive has been erased and I am starting Internet recovery with the cmd +R. Internet recovery tries to start but then an error saying apple\support error - 1005f.

Any ideas anyone? There is an internet connected router within range but no way that I can see to connect MacBook.

How am I going to recover this Mac

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I found a discussion on Apple's forums that go over this error and someone posted solutions.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4382185

Basically, your internet connection is "unsuitable" for recovering via the internet. That discussion reviews a couple solutions, but the simplest one to start with is to make sure your router is using WPA2 wireless security and not WEP or WAP.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the response... I have seen this and checked the router settings and all seems fine. I have also tried the recovery at another location with a different router and its the same there.

What are my other options if the internet recovery does not work?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Know any other Mac users with a stable connection? If you log into the App store with your account you can download the installer on their system and create a bootable USB drive. Just be sure that:
1. Once the installer file is downloaded don't continue installation. That will delete the installer file. Create the bootable disk than.
2. Once you have completed the download be sure to log out of your App Store account.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks but I don't know any other mac users. I have always stayed away from macs as I have found them very restrictive as I am finding here. This one came my way so I decided to have another look.

I have since found that by pressing alt on startup it gives me the option to connect to a wifi network
but no ssids are listed so I enter mine manually but it never connects.

Its like the wifi card is not working

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the most recent info on what's required to use Internet recovery. If I am reading it correctly the network must be using DHCP and WPA2 encryption. Even an ethernet connection will work.

I'll keep thinking and see if I come up with an alternative.

OP
M
Reaction score
The more I look at this I think there may be an issue with the wifi hardware as It will not see any available networks and there is no Ethernet port to try.

On the PC I could use a USB wifi adapter or an usb Ethernet adapter. I could also boot from a boot disc or a lice cd to fault find the wifi. Do you know if any of these work with MacBook air

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've used USB to wi-fi adapters with my Macs in the past. Some have worked well and others haven't. Usually due to driver issues. At the moment I'm not sure which ones work reliably though surely there must be one.

Which model MacBook Air is this and do you have a DVD drive available?

OP
M
Reaction score
I have the MacBook air mid 2011 version.

I have access to plenty of hardware so will try the usb devices tomorrow. The Mac does not have a dvd drive but I have external dvd drives

How would I go about buying some software and is it available to download to PC so I can put on a USB stick

I do appreciate your help with this

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My original thought was booting from a Snow Leopard (10.6) disc to get back up and running but the earliest OS supported by that machine is 10.7.x according to MacTracker.

I don't think there is a way to download it using a PC since you have to go through the App Store to get the download legitimately.

Are you anywhere near an Apple Store? They have been known to help out with the download on occassion.

OP
M
Reaction score
No the nearest apple store is 50+miles away.

I have since tried 4 different usb wifi devices and none work. I also tried a usb to rj45 and that doesn't work.

I have now tried the restore on 3 different routers at different locations and still not working.

I remember now why I have always stayed away from Apple. Its big brother watching over you not allowing you to do anything and making it all so difficult.

Why I cant just download a Lion OS an install it I don't know....

Thank for your help..

Reaction score
it's not as bad as you think and honestly going to a apple store really is worth the trip because they can diagnose the issue and help you greatly

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi,

Just to let you know. I identified the problem as a faulty airport card so found a new one on ebay. I fitted the new card and it finds the wifi great now.

I have started the internet recovery and it says 14 hrs 54 mins remaining......

I have a fast fibre broadband connection as well..

Cheers.. Mark

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got that sorted out. Good bit of detective work there.

The time estimate may drop significantly during the process, I haven't had to use Internet Recovery but it did happen during the initial download of the installer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.