Error 8. Reformatted. Says 30 GB available?

Reaction score
Water was splashed on my MacBook from the screen side. So water did Not hit the keyboard. Water might have gotten in thru the fans.
So I turned it off, and hung it upside down, for a week.

I turned it on, it seemed to have reinstalled the OS. The icons in the Dock were different, Mail had to be reconfigured and download my mail, etc.

THEN it started freezing. I ran Disk Utility, it gave Error Exit Code 8. I ran Disk Utility in Recovery mode and Single User Mode; I Still got Error 8.

I copied off my files. And reformatted. But it says out of 250 GB only 30 GB are available???

Why? What is wrong? What can I do?

BTW I have Not reinstalled the OS.

I have a MacBook Pro Late 2013.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Water is just bad with electronics. Not sure what all got damaged along the way. With phones, people tend to put it into rice to dry things out.

Your MBP is totally out of warranty, so I'd go ahead and use the videos on iFixit and open up the case to inspect what the damage is.

Your machine is 10 years old, so your best is likely an upgrade to a new machine now.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@MegaByte,

Not wishing to add to your grief, but may I ask: have you got good, recent backup(s) of your Mac?

It's crucial if, as seems likely, you end up with a new (or at least different) Mac:sd

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.