Erased the HD and Now I can't install Lion!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Help me out Mac-Forumers.

So I am here at my parents house and thought I'd give their iMac (2009) an upgrade to OS X Lion.

I have a bootable USB Drive with Lion on it.

I backed-up everything, booted into the USB drive. I started out by erasing the iMac's hard drive and formatting into "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"

I rebooted, into the USB, and clicked on Re-install Lion... and I was shocked to see that it kept on giving me the same error "Need more than 2GB to install Lion"

I am guessing that its just looking at the USB drive, which should have more than 2GB anyways (total 16GB).

Any ideas??!

PLEASE HELP :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That makes no sense. Are you pointing it at that just formatted hard drive? Did you install Lion on the Flash Drive the way the sites are saying? It should bring up a window where you select the hard drive.

Open up Disk Utility from the Lion installer. Don't just Erase but Partition with one partition. Be sure under Options that GUID is selected!! Apply and see what DU says is the free space. Then quit DU and try the installer again.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello D,

It was totally my bad. The iMac had only 1GB of RAM. So I placed an order for 4GB of memory from Crucial to be, hopefully, delivered tomorrow morning.

We'll go from there.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Crucial screwed the pooch on this one!

They hosed up the order and missed the shipping deadline. I won't be seeing the 4 gigs of RAM till Tuesday!

Boo!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hello D,

It was totally my bad. The iMac had only 1GB of RAM. So I placed an order for 4GB of memory from Crucial to be, hopefully, delivered tomorrow morning.

We'll go from there.

So Lion was talking about the 1GB ram and not the hard drive? Ok! Thanks for letting us know.

And BAD Crucial. Normally they are quite together.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Funny thing is, I left a bad feedback and miraculously quick I got a call back from their customer service.

They ended up rushing the order through and its on its way for tomorrow.

This should be an awesome upgrade to the iMac.

I'll post back when all is said and done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.