erase epolife completely

Reaction score
Hi,
after I have erased epolife and whatever related files from my iMac in the past I found AppYM as well AppNOS popping up in the activity control window for a few seconds while the computer starts. I run a spindump and an analysis seeing that both apps are located in the :Library/Application Support/Epolife/Epolife.app/Contents/MacOS/AppYM ...
However, there are no such files if I follow that path. Activity Control shows a very short life span of the Apps with only 4 seconds running - I assume they can't find a valid program and simply die.
However I would like to get rid of those fragments - at least I assume these are leftovers from erasing the crap - asking the forum whether anybody has an idea. I simply can't find the fragments on the HD even though they deploy activities - at least one... BTW: epolife from time to time pops up in the program folder and I erase everything assuming that one of the Apps mentioned above is responsible for locking it in. Again - help welcome!
Best regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

There are other places that "Epolife" may still be lurking about. Not knowing anything about the app, did it have an uninstall routine? And since you didn't provide any information about your Mac or which version of macOS it's running, we're not going to be much help.

You might try downloading and using the free "Appdelete.app" to see if it can find the hidden pieces of "Epolife".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Again, I'm going to suggest using Find Any File.app to seek and destroy any and all remaining bits.

Search on the offending app name or parts of it and/or the developer name etc. Anything possibly related.

Download Find Any File here:
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

PS: Hint: Pressing the option key when searching will put you into a staff user after entering your username password.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use AppCleaner, https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/, it helps get rid of hidden files associated with app

As you say Bob, it helps and is quick and easy and pretty safe.

Find Any File.app can and will, with proper input, find ALL bits and associated pieces and delete them all.

But just my personal method and opinion and find FAF more thorough and complete, with more input and time needed. :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score
As you say Bob, it helps and is quick and easy and pretty safe.

Find Any File.app can and will, with proper input, find ALL bits and associated pieces and delete them all.

But just my personal method and opinion and find FAF more thorough and complete, with more input and time needed. :Blushing:

- Patrick
======
Well, I thought it is possible to locate and delete the crap with "tools on board" rather than loading the next little helper for some bucks. the funny thing though is that - running an analysis via MAC OS activity control - the path is apparently clear: " /Library/Application Support/Epolife/Epolife.app/Contents/MacOS/AppYM " (this is copy/pasted from analysis). However, there is no Epolife file under Application Support nor is there any in one of the sub-folders within Application support. Any idea how to get there?

BTW: there was another post asking for system information: this is an iMac 27'' 3,1GHz running on El Capitan 10.11.6..
Regards...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did the software come with an uninstaller? If so download again, install, and run the uninstaller.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Well, I thought it is possible to locate and delete the crap with "tools on board" rather than loading the next little helper for some bucks. the funny thing though is that - running an analysis via MAC OS activity control - the path is apparently clear: " /Library/Application Support/Epolife/Epolife.app/Contents/MacOS/AppYM " (this is copy/pasted from analysis). However, there is no Epolife file under Application Support nor is there any in one of the sub-folders within Application support. Any idea how to get there?

BTW: there was another post asking for system information: this is an iMac 27'' 3,1GHz running on El Capitan 10.11.6..
Regards...
AppCleaner, is free, follow my link in post #4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I thought it is possible to locate and delete the crap with "tools on board" rather than loading the next little helper for some bucks. the funny thing though is that - running an analysis via MAC OS activity control - the path is apparently clear:

Find Any File.app is shareware and you can use it in free mode and Apple doesn't include any proper diagnostic search tools so you can be like Don Quixote trying various alternatives if you like. That should take a few weeks or so I'd guess. Your choice.

And neither does Apple's built-in Spotlight (AKA: Stoplight) allow you to even search in some areas.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

That folder is hidden by default as is all of your user library folder. That's probably why you can't find it. Do some searching on how to unhide your user folder and then you should be able to remove the offending files.

Also, as Bob mentioned above, AppCleaner is free and so is AppDelete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Find Any File used to be free until a certain person from Brentwood Bay, Canada began advertising it so much that Templeton said... "What the heck, since it's so popular I might as well make it shareware!"

And by the way, I have his older freeware version which still works with Sierra, against Templeton's warning that you need the newer version to work with El Capitan and later. ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Find Any File used to be free until a certain person from Brentwood Bay, Canada began advertising it so much that Templeton said... "What the heck, since it's so popular I might as well make it shareware!"

Actually Find Any File has always been "free" but is "Shareware" and as such should be treated as such like all shareware, as he says:

Find Any File is Shareware

You may try it out without buying first. Simply download it.

If you keep using it, though, you are expected to pay for it.

BTW: I don't recall getting any warnings of doom if not updating FaF for use with any recent Mac OS X releases, but it sure is normally usually recommended to do so, especially from a lot of members on this site. :Mischievous:

Besides, it doesn't cost anything extra, unless one was silly enough to buy it via Apple's App Store. Then each update version needs to be paid for again I believe, and for even more money than what the developer asks.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope... older versions were not shareware and were freeware. I still have version 1.2.1 and the "about" dialog specifically states it's freeware. And like I said, it still works. Also, versions of apps purchased from the MAS generally do not have to paid for again unless a new major version is released.

Agree that shareware should be paid for if one continues to use it as such.

OP
D
Reaction score
Did the software come with an uninstaller? If so download again, install, and run the uninstaller.
well see, if have issues trusting an uninstaller routine of crap. it had an installer routine when I found it on the mac but I'm not sure what this routine is doing after I figured out in various fora that the software could even hijack configuration files. I probably try out a software - based search & destroy solution hoping it does not simply hook on OS-routines that are integrated in MAC OS anyway and could be applied as long as you know how to do it. Regards...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope... older versions were not shareware and were freeware. I still have version 1.2.1 and the "about" dialog specifically states it's freeware. And like I said, it still works. Also, versions of apps purchased from the MAS generally do not have to paid for again unless a new major version is released.

Agree that shareware should be paid for if one continues to use it as such.

My apologies chscag and you are quite correct.

I guess I forgot and lost track after being a FaF beta tester for a while

It seems I also had an even older version tucked away in my SL volume, and as you say, it quite clearly says "Freeware". And yes I have been an avid and long time user of Find Any File and it's still one of my best used utilities and has saved a good number of Mac user client's fanny of "lost" files etc.

These bring back some old memories:

- Patrick
======

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 8.47.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 8.45.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 8.40.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 8.47.23 AM.png

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.