equivlent to defrag??????

F

fuzzydigital

hey guys, im new on here but ive had my g4 for over a year and its getting slower and slower. anyone know what is the equivelent to defrag on windows unit. also i havnt seen a place to uninstall a program. is a program uninstalled when you put it in the trash? thanks for any advice..

OP
H

hokiethang

fuzzydigital said:
hey guys, im new on here but ive had my g4 for over a year and its getting slower and slower. anyone know what is the equivelent to defrag on windows unit. also i havnt seen a place to uninstall a program. is a program uninstalled when you put it in the trash? thanks for any advice..

I dont think you have to defrag a mac, but someone who has used one longer than I, may be able to tell you where to find one as im sure they have them. From what I have been told, as long as there is no uninstalller, all you have to do is drag the program to the trash.

OP
D

dziner

You are correct. Most of the time all you have to do is drag the app to the trash and empty the trash to delete the app. So easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
there is a similar thing on mac to Defragging now that it has a UNIX base. the File System Checker (fsck) will find and fix any corrupted files.

Hold down Command+s when starting up your mac. this will boot you into single user mode. once you see the command prompt (#), type the following:

fsck -y

hit enter, and it will run the file system checker. youll see some lines of text, if finishes and you see this:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

then you should run the file system checker again using the same command above. if it finishes and reports no error, then you can continue to os x by typing

reboot (to restart)
or logout (to boot up staright to os x)

you can also try resetting your Parameter Random Access Memory (PRAM). its good to reset this once every many moons. you can do this by holding down command+option+p+r on startup. continue to hold it down until you hear it chime again. (i usually let it chime 3 or 4 times before letting go). Afterwards, just let go of the keys and it will boot up normally.

OP
P

pcmankey

MacAddikt said:
there is a similar thing on mac to Defragging now that it has a UNIX base. the File System Checker (fsck) will find and fix any corrupted files.

Hold down Command+s when starting up your mac. this will boot you into single user mode. once you see the command prompt (#), type the following:

fsck -y

hit enter, and it will run the file system checker. youll see some lines of text, if finishes and you see this:

then you should run the file system checker again using the same command above. if it finishes and reports no error, then you can continue to os x by typing

reboot (to restart)
or logout (to boot up staright to os x)

you can also try resetting your Parameter Random Access Memory (PRAM). its good to reset this once every many moons. you can do this by holding down command+option+p+r on startup. continue to hold it down until you hear it chime again. (i usually let it chime 3 or 4 times before letting go). Afterwards, just let go of the keys and it will boot up normally.

Do you know where this type of information (i.e. commands at boot) can be found? I used to have a NeXTStation and you could boot up without starting NeXTStep. Also, all installed packages could be uninstalled in the same manner--I wonder why they got rid of that part of the Installer.

OP
J

jerodhusvar

fuzzydigital said:

Getting back to your original question, you can always buy Norton Utilities and run Speed Disk. This will defragement your drive and help speed up the machine considerably.

Jerod

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
jerodhusvar said:
Getting back to your original question, you can always buy Norton Utilities and run Speed Disk. This will defragement your drive and help speed up the machine considerably.

Jerod

I don't think you want to run Norton's speed disk on a unix disk. You may cause more problems than, fix.

OP
S

StarManta

MacAddikt said:

fsck -y

This sounds suspiciously like the "deltree \y C:\*.*" pranks passed around in IRC....

OP
H

hokiethang

StarManta said:
This sounds suspiciously like the "deltree \y C:\*.*" pranks passed around in IRC....

its not, you can look up fsck in a linux manpage. fsck does file system verification. im not sure what the -y switch does, but fsck is NOT malicious.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe that fsck means file system check. The minus y option is for answering all of the questions with a yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
StarManta said:

You obviously haven't spent very much time here with our members.

OP
X

Xyphus

StarManta said:

In Unix/Linux, the same would be more like "rm -rf *"... The fsch command is more like chkdsk in Windoze... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.