Epson issue

Reaction score
I am current with the Mac OS, (Mojave), and now my Epson V500 scanner is no longer speaking to my PowerBook. I have contacted Epson customer service and was told they no longer support that scanner and would not be updating their software to speak to the new OS. (Last Epson product I will ever buy) Is there any work around, like a third party software I can use or do I just junk the perfectly good scanner and buy a new one?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks, at least you are less insulting than Bob,

There certainly was no insult in the reply by member @ferrarr. You were given a URL for a driver download that concerns your Epson scanner. If you already tried that and it didn't work, you should say so instead of the remark in your reply to Rod.

Members of this forum are not paid tech support and volunteer their time.

Is there any work around, like a third party software I can use or do I just junk the perfectly good scanner and buy a new one?

You could try this software. It's probably the best all around software for scanners. Not inexpensive though.

VueScan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I am current with the Mac OS, (Mojave), and now my Epson V500 scanner is no longer speaking to my PowerBook.

And I guess it doesn't work with Preview.app or Image Capture.app???

And I see that chscag beat me to posting with the suggestion of giving VueScan a try:

VueScan lists support for the Epson V500:

- Patrick
=======

OP
A
Reaction score
I meant no disrespect to Rod, just thought being referred to as a fool by the first responder was a little over the top. Thanks to those giving me links to possible software solutions, that was what I was looking for since Epson has already shut me down.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is there any work around, like a third party software I can use or do I just junk the perfectly good scanner and buy a new one?

VueScan if you are mainly into graphics, ExactScan if you are mainly into documents:

Vue-Scan

Exactscan Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I meant no disrespect to Rod, just thought being referred to as a fool by the first responder was a little over the top.
Really? That's just a silly saying in his signature line. It is not an insult; it's a joke. I think it's humorous. It's like the tech support diagnosis PEBKAC (problem exists between keyboard and chair) which I also like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
No way was it meant personally. Alan, as a newcomer, you're probably unfamiliar with below the line tips which will appear on every post from that person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Really? That's just a silly saying in his signature line. It is not an insult; it's a joke. I think it's humorous. It's like the tech support diagnosis PEBKAC (problem exists between keyboard and chair) which I also like.
No way was it meant personally. Alan, as a newcomer, you're probably unfamiliar with below the line tips which will appear on every post from that person.

Thanks for the pointer to the "insult", as I couldn't understand what was being referred to and I sure missed and didn't see any obvious derogatory remark.

Anyway, definitely, some suggestions to try that should work.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Aaaah, I get it now. Allan we all have these "catchy" bylines, you can have one too, never any offence intended. Mine for instance in directly from the World Backup Day web site which appears arounf April every year and expresses my concern about how many people don't backup. Thet are not specifically directed at users who post a question. :)

Reaction score
I use vuescan, it's very good
VueScan if you are mainly into graphics, ExactScan if you are mainly into documents:

Vue-Scan

Exactscan Pro

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Mac-Forums mobile app

OP
A
Reaction score
Aaaah, I get it now. Allan we all have these "catchy" bylines, you can have one too, never any offence intended. Mine for instance in directly from the World Backup Day web site which appears arounf April every year and expresses my concern about how many people don't backup. Thet are not specifically directed at users who post a question. :)

Got it now, thanks.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing to forgive Allan.?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.