End of the road for my 2014 iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014
My 2014 iMac with 27" 5K retina display has been excellent and is still running just fine.
Unfortunately I'm not able to update from MacOS Big Sur and Apple will stop providing security updates for this OS in November 2023.
Looks like I'll have to either take a security risk and keep using the Mac with Mac OS Big Sur, which I'm nervous about doing, or dispose of it and buy a new 24" iMac.
It seems such a waste (and expense) to replace a machine that's running perfectly, so does anyone have suggestions as to what I should do for the best?
Any help or ideas would be very welcome.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Personal view here:

There are ways of mitigating "risks".

Such as sensible online activity; replacing Safari with a browser such as Brave which is very risk-aware and has backward compatible access to older macOSs such as yours. Vivaldi might also be considered.

Using a good Ad Blocker, which I imagine you have already.

You might consider a VPN for special occasions like banking, but any decent one will cost you: Express VPN, NordVPN, PIA as examples.

My very personal view is that careful usage of your iMac is very unlikely to put you at risk. Big Sur was a good, sound OS.

Others may take a different approach.

Ian

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ian and thank you for your views.

I think I'd describe myself as sensible and cautious when it comes to online activity.

Chrome is my preferred web browser and I have the AdBlock extension installed. I'll have a look at Brave though as I hadn't heard of it until now.

I also have Sophos anti-virus and Clean MyMac X, which I use on a weekly basis. To date I've not received any threats or virus alerts. Perhaps I've just been lucky?

I don't use a VPN for online banking but may take a look at this as well.

Thank you again for your suggestions and hopefully I can avoid the needless waste of getting rid of or replacing my iMac just yet.

Robert

Reaction score
I do no have the link as I lost it myself and have yet to look it up again (way too busy), but I know someplace I saw a way of running new OSs on old macs. I was interested b/c I still have a 2007 desktop I was thinking about using this with. Right now I just use it for offline stuff b/c even Brave will not support allow me to load many pages without a safety risk page showing and then having to click again to load it anyway (which does not always work). I agree with everything IWT said though. I would suggest Ghostery ad blocker and u-block origin though. I have used Malware Bytes for a long times now. Never used Clean My Mac b/c Onyx is free.

Reaction score
Just did a quick search for "run new os on old mac" and got this:

"If Apple deems your Mac too old to run Sonoma, or any other versions of macOS, updating is not simple, but it is possible with an OpenCore Legacy Patcher." Other patches, evidently by the theme of the entire article, have been published for older versions.

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do no have the link as I lost it myself and have yet to look it up again (way too busy), but I know someplace I saw a way of running new OSs on old macs. I was interested b/c I still have a 2007 desktop I was thinking about using this with. Right now I just use it for offline stuff b/c even Brave will not support allow me to load many pages without a safety risk page showing and then having to click again to load it anyway (which does not always work). I agree with everything IWT said though. I would suggest Ghostery ad blocker and u-block origin though. I have used Malware Bytes for a long times now. Never used Clean My Mac b/c Onyx is free.
Hi Lbrewer and thanks for your reply.
I'll have a look for a website that talks about running new Mac OS's on old Macs - thanks for the lead.
Yes I did wonder if I should just use it for offline stuff when the security updates stop.
I'll have a look at Ghostery ad blocker and U-block as they may be better that the chrome extension.
I do use Malwarebytes and forgot to mention this in my original post.
I wasn't aware of Onyx but will take a look.
Thanks again - Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Looks like I'll have to either take a security risk and keep using the Mac with Mac OS Big Sur, which I'm nervous about doing, or dispose of it and buy a new 24" iMac.
It seems such a waste (and expense) to replace a machine that's running perfectly, so does anyone have suggestions as to what I should do for the best?

Take a guess as to what Apple would suggest you do???

I didn't follow their advice years ago with my mid-2011 iMac which suits me just fine and I didn't even bother updating it to the latest compatible Mac OS version it can run but stayed with Mavericks for the longest time and then only recently changed up to running OS X 10.11: El Capitan.

As Ian and others say, be careful where you go when out on the Internet but you should be doing that anyway even if you are up to date.

Google Chrome and Firefox work just fine for me but I also use several third-party extensions.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
I started to use u-block origin after doing some online research to see what IT people were saying they use.

I may be wrong, but to me, Clean My Mac always smacked of being one of those things you can find for free, but they market it well and so make big bucks. They would make a webpage of somehwat useful info, and then after a bit it all all was funneled down into a "Buy Clean my Mac" sales pitch. I do not appreciate when I am researching having my time wasted by being baited this way. Although I WILL admit sometimes there was some useful info...but I won't patroize places/products selling themselves as being helpful but do not mind misleading/wasting my time from the start just to make a buck. To me this seems like what I would term pseudo-spamming.

Reaction score
My 2014 iMac with 27" 5K retina display has been excellent and is still running just fine.
Unfortunately I'm not able to update from MacOS Big Sur and Apple will stop providing security updates for this OS in November 2023.
Any help or ideas would be very welcome.
I've used OpenCore Legacy Patcher and I'm currently running macOS 13.6 Ventura on my Early 2015 MacBook Pro (Retina) and my Late 2015 iMac 27" without any issues. They have just released version 1.0.0 of OpenCore, which should allow me to run Sonoma on these legacy machines that Apple would tell me to recycle.
(Have a read through the limitations, as some graphics cards and/or programs may not work)

Gord

Reaction score
I wrote a long detailed post, and then accidentially deleted it. So I'll just give you a quick summary.

There are so few threats in the wild for the Mac that your concerns about security are unwarranted. Old Macs are not a target for the bad guys..there are too few of them to be worth their while.

Chrome is a browser to be avoided. Google's entire business model is to give you free software filled with spyware and then to steal your personal data and sell it to folks who do targeted advertising. Get Brave. It's based on the same underlying code but all the spyware is stripped out.
https://brave.com

Sophos causes more problems than it prevents. I hear from folks who use it, and their Mac has slowed to a crawl, all the time.

I don't trust CleanMyMac or Malwarebytes. That's my personal preference based on experience. There are better alternatives. See below.

A nine year old Mac is at the end of its life. If you have a rotating disk hard drive, statistically you can expect it to die soon. Be sure to keep a backup of your data. You can expect it to be harder to migrate to a new Mac the longer you wait to upgrade due to technology drift.

If you are paranoid, and must have AV protection despite the lack of need, these products are free, excellent, and don't cause problem in and of themselves:

VirusBarrier Free Edition (free)
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/virusbarrier-scanner/id1200445649
This is a full version of Intego's anti-virus program VirusBarrier [usually $40/year] minus some [but not all] of the automated scanning features in the commercial version.

In the rare event that you have an adware problem, you may want to download and use:

DetectX Swift (free)
https://sqwarq.com/detectx/

You don't need a VPN. Modern technology has mostly made the need for a VPN an anacronism:

It’s Time to Stop Paying for a VPN (Published 2021)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take a guess as to what Apple would suggest you do???

I didn't follow their advice years ago with my mid-2011 iMac which suits me just fine and I didn't even bother updating it to the latest compatible Mac OS version it can run but stayed with Mavericks for the longest time and then only recently changed up to running OS X 10.11: El Capitan.

As Ian and others say, be careful where you go when out on the Internet but you should be doing that anyway even if you are up to date.

Google Chrome and Firefox work just fine for me but I also use several third-party extensions.

- Patrick
=======
Hi Patrick and thanks for your reply
Yes I'm quite sure Apple would love me to just buy a new iMac but I don't intend to for a while yet.
I'm reassured by what you and others have said from your own experiences, so will take this good advice and see how I get on.
Robert

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've used OpenCore Legacy Patcher and I'm currently running macOS 13.6 Ventura on my Early 2015 MacBook Pro (Retina) and my Late 2015 iMac 27" without any issues. They have just released version 1.0.0 of OpenCore, which should allow me to run Sonoma on these legacy machines that Apple would tell me to recycle.
(Have a read through the limitations, as some graphics cards and/or programs may not work)

Gord
Hi Gord and thank you for your reply, much appreciated.
I wasn't aware of OpenCore Legacy Patcher so will look into this; particularly the limitations relating to graphics cards.
Robert

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wrote a long detailed post, and then accidentially deleted it. So I'll just give you a quick summary.

There are so few threats in the wild for the Mac that your concerns about security are unwarranted. Old Macs are not a target for the bad guys..there are too few of them to be worth their while.

Chrome is a browser to be avoided. Google's entire business model is to give you free software filled with spyware and then to steal your personal data and sell it to folks who do targeted advertising. Get Brave. It's based on the same underlying code but all the spyware is stripped out.
Secure, Fast, & Private Web Browser with Adblocker | Brave

Sophos causes more problems than it prevents. I hear from folks who use it, and their Mac has slowed to a crawl, all the time.

I don't trust CleanMyMac or Malwarebytes. That's my personal preference based on experience. There are better alternatives. See below.

A nine year old Mac is at the end of its life. If you have a rotating disk hard drive, statistically you can expect it to die soon. Be sure to keep a backup of your data. You can expect it to be harder to migrate to a new Mac the longer you wait to upgrade due to technology drift.

If you are paranoid, and must have AV protection despite the lack of need, these products are free, excellent, and don't cause problem in and of themselves:

VirusBarrier Free Edition (free)
‎Intego VirusBarrier Scanner
This is a full version of Intego's anti-virus program VirusBarrier [usually $40/year] minus some [but not all] of the automated scanning features in the commercial version.

In the rare event that you have an adware problem, you may want to download and use:

DetectX Swift (free)
https://sqwarq.com/detectx/

You don't need a VPN. Modern technology has mostly made the need for a VPN an anacronism:

It’s Time to Stop Paying for a VPN (Published 2021)

Hello Randy
Thank you for your comprehensive reply and suggestions. I hadn't heard of Brave until today so will definitely take a look at it. I haven't had any problems with Sophos to be honest so maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.
Is there any particular reason why you don't trust Clean my Mac and Malwarebytes? I'm not doubting your opinion just wondering what has led you to this view?
The hard disc in my iMac is a 3.2T fusion drive and no issues as yet but I do agree that anything mechanical can and will, at some point break! I do have back up in the form of a Seagate external drive and use Time Machine which seems to work just fine.
I don't consider myself paranoid but are aware there are threats out there so it is wise to take some precautions. I'll certainly take a look at the products you've kindly provided links for and may move to one of these.
I only ever used a VPN when the company I used to work for set up remote working during the Covid pandemic. This was taken out of use when I retired 3 years ago.
Thanks again for your help and advice.
Robert

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Rob, I think the overwhelming opinion is that there is no reason to retire your 2014 iMac while it continues to meet your needs. Just make sure you have a good backup plan for the inevitable demise of your hard drive. As one of our members bylines states; "It's not a matter of if your HD will die but when."

I share the opinion of all of the previous posts on most points:

Get rid of Sophos AV, you don't need it. Malwarebytes, which used to be good, is now an unnecessary waste of money and CPU resources. VirusBarrier Free Edition (free) is a great alternative and DetectX Swift (free) is a good second line of defense.

Clean My Mac is a"one stop shop" for a number of functions available free on other apps but I realise it's easy and convenient. My opinion is, it's unnecessary and it's "helper app" uses up a lot of resources. Generally it's harmless if used correctly and I still have it myself (with the helper app disabled) but only because I purchased it long ago, before I got smarter;)

I would not use Google Chrome unless you are unconcerned about Google's invasive collection of personal data, tracking and ad's. Brave Browser is a great alternative using it's Standard protection settings, I've used it for years.

I'm not a fan of using patching techniques to upgrade devices to macOS's not designed by Apple to run on that device. Especially if it's your primary computer. There are usually concessions and like jailbreaking an iPhone, run the risk of "bricking" your device.

Although I agree with what Randy says regarding VPN's today for security I still have one because I live in Indonesia.
"VPNs can be used to bypass geographic restrictions, shield your activity on public Wi-Fi, and hide your real IP address when browsing and using software like BitTorrent." (How-To- Geek)
In the USA in particular your ISP can "see" all of your online activity and are required by law to divulge this data on request by federal agencies.
Personally I use Express VPN to view TV content from "home" and as the plan allows 5 devices I use it on our computers as well.
So, it's a personal choice thing.

**If you do choose to uninstall any of the mentioned "unnecessary" apps do please use the Uninstaller or advice provided by the developer. eg this article from Sophos;
As you will see it can be a complex procedure.
So, look up the appropriate procedure online before attempting any uninstalling and remember major rewriting to an old HD could cause it to fail.
You may choose to simply disable some of these apps and maintain the status quo for as long as the device is working well for you. Our advice may be of more use to you on your next device.

Lastly, what Randy says about Migration of your saved data to a new Mac is very true. I think a current Time Machine backup and iCloud sync is still your best bet but I would be inclined to have a second backup of your most important data (documents, photos, passwords ect) on a seperate external HD, just in case.

Best regards,

Rod

Reaction score
Is there any particular reason why you don't trust Clean my Mac and Malwarebytes? I'm not doubting your opinion just wondering what has led you to this view?

We've discussed both at length several times on this forum. Instead of re-hashing it all, I'll instead suggest that you just do a search through the forum for posts about each product.

The hard disc in my iMac is a 3.2T fusion drive and no issues as yet but I do agree that anything mechanical can and will, at some point break!

It's not just that. Backblaze has been publishing a study, yearly, of their experiences running hundreds of rotating disk hard drives of all makes and sizes. Statistically, the chances of of a rotating disk hard drive failing become too high to ignore after only six years of use. After nine years of use the chances of your rotating disk hard drive failing become extremely high.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-long-do-disk-drives-last/

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rob, I think the overwhelming opinion is that there is no reason to retire your 2014 iMac while it continues to meet your needs. Just make sure you have a good backup plan for the inevitable demise of your hard drive. As one of our members bylines states; "It's not a matter of if your HD will die but when."

I share the opinion of all of the previous posts on most points:

Get rid of Sophos AV, you don't need it. Malwarebytes, which used to be good, is now an unnecessary waste of money and CPU resources. VirusBarrier Free Edition (free) is a great alternative and DetectX Swift (free) is a good second line of defense.

Clean My Mac is a"one stop shop" for a number of functions available free on other apps but I realise it's easy and convenient. My opinion is, it's unnecessary and it's "helper app" uses up a lot of resources. Generally it's harmless if used correctly and I still have it myself (with the helper app disabled) but only because I purchased it long ago, before I got smarter;)

I would not use Google Chrome unless you are unconcerned about Google's invasive collection of personal data, tracking and ad's. Brave Browser is a great alternative using it's Standard protection settings, I've used it for years.

I'm not a fan of using patching techniques to upgrade devices to macOS's not designed by Apple to run on that device. Especially if it's your primary computer. There are usually concessions and like jailbreaking an iPhone, run the risk of "bricking" your device.

Although I agree with what Randy says regarding VPN's today for security I still have one because I live in Indonesia.
"VPNs can be used to bypass geographic restrictions, shield your activity on public Wi-Fi, and hide your real IP address when browsing and using software like BitTorrent." (How-To- Geek)
In the USA in particular your ISP can "see" all of your online activity and are required by law to divulge this data on request by federal agencies.
Personally I use Express VPN to view TV content from "home" and as the plan allows 5 devices I use it on our computers as well.
So, it's a personal choice thing.

**If you do choose to uninstall any of the mentioned "unnecessary" apps do please use the Uninstaller or advice provided by the developer. eg this article from Sophos;
As you will see it can be a complex procedure.
So, look up the appropriate procedure online before attempting any uninstalling and remember major rewriting to an old HD could cause it to fail.
You may choose to simply disable some of these apps and maintain the status quo for as long as the device is working well for you. Our advice may be of more use to you on your next device.

Lastly, what Randy says about Migration of your saved data to a new Mac is very true. I think a current Time Machine backup and iCloud sync is still your best bet but I would be inclined to have a second backup of your most important data (documents, photos, passwords ect) on a seperate external HD, just in case.

Best regards,

Rod
Hi Rod and may I start by apologising for my very late response to your comprehensive and very helpful reply.

My current backup plan consists of: stage 1 - iCloud sync, then stage 2 - incremental backups, using Time Machine, onto a Seagate external hard drive. This is what you and Randy recommend so I'm happy it's sufficiently robust to enable me to recover my data if/when the fusion drive breaks.

I take on board what you and Randy suggest about a third backup for really important data though, so will do this.

I'm not so confident about how I'd actually go about recovering data and installing it on a new Apple device (iMac, or a Mac Mini with separate monitor) though, as this is my first Mac so I've never done it before.

I guess the same would apply if I couldn't replace the fusion drive with an SSD and instead replaced it with a new iMac though.

Could I ask why you say I don;t need Sophos AV? It was installed at the recommendation of the IT manager where I used to work at the time of Covid. I was using the iMac to access the company network and it was considered a necessary security measure.

I'll take a look at VirusBarrier Free Edition (free) and DetectX Swift (free) - thanks for the advice.

I'm happy to stick with Clean my Mac for now as it suits my needs and have already installed Brave. I've been using Chrome for the last 3 years and had been very happy with it. But the recent move by Google to make YouTube a pain to use unless you pay makes me want to move away from the platform.

Thanks again and best regards, Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M2 Pro, iPad Mini 6, Apple Pencil
When Apple utterly abandons support for my Mac Mini, many years from now. I may investigate replacing my Mac OS with Linux. I have zero experience with Linux on Mac, but do use it on other computers I own. Linux Mint at the moment. For me I need software updates to feel secure.

Linux is my suggested opinion for older machines. What do the rest of you think? Bad idea?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm not so confident about how I'd actually go about recovering data and installing it on a new Apple device (iMac, or a Mac Mini with separate monitor) though, as this is my first Mac so I've never done it before.
Rob, with any new Mac, be it an iMac or Mac Mini the process of restoring data from eg a Time Machine (TM) backup is simply a matter of plugging the External Hard Drive (EHD) in at initial setup. The Setup Assistant walks you through the process up to the point where you are asked, do you want to restore data from a backup? At this point you merely confirm and choose TM, then you get options of what data?
Documents, Applications ect or All Data. Some may choose to leave out some Applications, preferring to load new versions but you get the choice. You can always restore left out items later.

The same thing goes for a third backup of "important" data. Just plug in the backup EHD and drag an drop what you want onto the new drive.

As for why we don't recommend Sophos. Well, I'm guessing here but I'll bet the "IT manager" was a Windows guy and with best intentions thought that any device accessing their system should have an Anti Virus program, preferably the same as theirs. It's a common requirement. Although Macs are not susceptible to PC Virus' it is just possible they could pass on a virus to a Windows device via eg. email attachment but then their version of Anti Virus should pick that up.

The point is you don't need it. Has Sophos ever detected anything harmful on your device?
Subscription based anti virus like Sophos, McAfee, Norton, Avast, Kaspersky and so on are just expensive, unnecessary CPU hogs. Even MalwareBytes which used to be good, now has so many bells and whistles it's primary function seems to have been forgotten.

I have had a mac computer since the 80's and I can say that in all that time neither the early (free) version of MalwareBytes nor DetectX Swift or in later times Intego's VirusBarrier Scanner have only found a few inert fragments of popular virus and a couple of PUP's (Potentially Unwanted Programs) all of which were either quarantined or removed via the app.

It's not that my devices have lived sheltered lives either. I have visited "risky" sites, downloaded movies from bit torrent sites, software from "free" sources been the victim of a fake FBI RansomWare attack and all sorts of third party apps even the evil and invasive MacKeeper at one time but an anti virus program would not have protected me from any of that nor did it.

These days it's almost impossible to visit a risky site with the protection built in to most browsers. I still get blocked at some sites identified as potential security risks until I turn on my VPN. This is of course because I'm in Indonesia and more the result of censorship but it's another reason for a VPN in my case.

Protecting your ID is the primary concern these days. Primarily from phishing and cyber attacks and in my mind anything I can do to secure and hide my identity online is much more important that worrying about non-existent Mac virus'.

A good anti-tracking, ad-blocking browser like Brave, sensible browsing practices and careful spam/scam screening of emails coupled with a VPN and occasional Malware scanning are all that I believe is necessary to stay safe online these days.

Lastly, CMM is not a malevolent application, I have it myself but, it's a convenient "one stop shop" but it does have the potential to do harm as with any tool used the wrong way. Just make sure you know what it is going to do before you press any buttons. For example the Maintainence Script, untick anything you are unsure of. Personally I've unticked most of them.
A lot of it's functions are duplicated in the macOS already and running it's "helper" app in the background is just an unnecessary drain on resources so I have disabled it from startup and background Items at Login. Obviously they all come on again when the app is launched but are Quit again when the app is quit.

I hope some of this is helpful to you, don't hesitate to ask anything that occurs.

Best regards,

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I've been using Chrome for the last 3 years and had been very happy with it. But the recent move by Google to make YouTube a pain to use unless you pay makes me want to move away from the platform.

@ rob berry

Could you clarify what your problem is with Google and YouTube and what the changes wereand what or why you have to pay to use it properly.

I'm just curious because I have no such problem using the last Google Chrome that will run in my 2011 iMac that I'm running OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

And just a comment on some of your other comments in your original number one post of this thread here, I have absolutely no problems running my older 3011 27" iMac that I mentioned just above, and yes I quite realize that Apple says it's not supported. Whatever it is they are no longer supporting but it still works just fine and does everything I need it to do thank you very much.

And no I do not run or use any AV software thanks except for running a free scan every month or so.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.