(encrypted) internal disk as external usb disk?

Reaction score
Hello

I am in the process to upgrade my macbook and replace the internal harddrive with a new ssd drive. should be relatively simple: boot from bootable usb stick with yosemite and freshly installed ssd drive, install on ssd drive --> clean new install.

my first though is that i can simply put the former internal harddrive into a usb case and have all the old data available on an external drive. easy.

however, the internal disk was encrypted when i installed lion(?), hence all the data is encrypted as well.

can i simply proceed and when i plug in the encrypted usb disk i will be asked for my user/password of the old macbook install? after all the google research i have done i fear it's not going to be that easy, but i will rather run into issues and the data will not be decryptable from a now different, newly built, machine.

has anyone ever done this before? or an idea if this will work?

thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.