Emptying the trash in Yosemite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
So I am doing my regular empty the trash routine and I notice the number of items count exceeding 65,000 items before I decide to stop it.

Evidently when I installed Yosemite it created copies of everything on my drive - pictures, documents, etc, and then trashed a selection of the previous contents.

I am not sure I am being clear but when I opened the trash, the "old" applications, library, system, and users folders plus a selection of my personal stuff was there. I find it really strange that selected pictures are in the trash but they are also still in my picture folder, some documents the same thing and a few folders too. Is this normal and can I delete all of it cause it is taking up a lot of space.

Lisa

Oh, just FYI, I did not do a clean install. This was over Mavericks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That doesn't sound good Lisa. I likewise didn't do a clean install but nothing wound up in the Trash. Just make sure you have a cloned backup before emptying the Trash.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I have checked the trash comparing it to my regular file and they are all there too. I will let you know what happens. I have time machine and CCC all current.

Lisa

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured it all out. It seems what was in my trash was my time machine backups - I guess my old ones? I deleted it all and caused a major meltdown with the trashcan. Had to do a hard shutdown. My TM drive would not mount so I had to use a Windows machine (because disk utility could not fix it - gave me a code 8 error?) to format the drive which housed my TM backup and CCC backup on two partitions.

I reattached the drive and formatted and partition it using disk utility. I am now doing TM backups and a new CCC backup.

I do have an other backup drive with a totally separate bootable CCC backup too. Be prepared and paranoid is my motto!

Lisa

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I do have an other backup drive with a totally separate bootable CCC backup too. Be prepared and paranoid is my motto!

You're not alone. I keep two separate CCC bootable backups as well as my Time Machine backup. And I'm seriously considering an off site backup although I'm not really pleased with the ones that I've inquired into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You're not alone. I keep two separate CCC bootable backups as well as my Time Machine backup. And I'm seriously considering an off site backup although I'm not really pleased with the ones that I've inquired into.

I going to go hard at iCloud I think for a trial external Backup for everything except my Media. I have TM and 2 SuperDupers but looking at a Drobo 4Tray as the prices are coming down. My only issue is the one I want doesn't come with Thunderbolt :(

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad 9, 64GB; MacBook Air 2020

Love that "be prepared and be paranoid" statement - that's me! I'm looking at CCC, but wondering if I need a separate external hard drive for it, or can I use the one I'm using for Time Machine?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's best to keep your CCC backup clone and Time Machine separate on individual drives. Having them both on one drive could result in both of your backups going south if that drive crashes.

Reaction score
It's best to keep your CCC backup clone and Time Machine separate on individual drives. Having them both on one drive could result in both of your backups going south if that drive crashes.

I use Superduper, does that do the same job as CCC?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I use Superduper, does that do the same job as CCC?

Yes, in principle—except that CCC also clones your recovery partition which SuperDuper! doesn't.

Ian

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CCC will clone your recovery partition. This means that if you have to replace or redo your hard drive the external drive you have set up your CCC backup and recovery partition on will be bootable. This means you can attach the portable backup drive, turn on the computer, and reinstall your entire OS and files to your hard drive. This is a huge advantage IMO.

Lisa

Reaction score
CCC will clone your recovery partition. This means that if you have to replace or redo your hard drive the external drive you have set up your CCC backup and recovery partition on will be bootable. This means you can attach the portable backup drive, turn on the computer, and reinstall your entire OS and files to your hard drive. This is a huge advantage IMO.

Lisa

Thanks, it was the recovery partition I didn't understand.

Gren

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.5; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.5; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

At the moment, I have TM on separate external HDs for my MBPro & wife's iMac, and CCC on a single HD (OWC) w/ two partitions, BUT always concerned of a drive failure and have been contemplating adding a couple for HDs to my BU strategy - so what might be the best policy? Two backups each on CCC and TM or just a single of TM and two of CCC? Probably will follow Chscag's policy of two on CCC.

BTW - I've not yet gone to Yosemite but was wondering about the new CCC v.4, i.e. should I upgrade on my Mavericks computers or wait after the Yosemite upgrades? Sent an email to them and receive two responses both suggesting putting the newest version on the Mavericks machines (one quoted below for those interested) - Dave :)

Sarah (Bombich Software)
Oct 20 12:43 PM

Hello Dave,

Honestly, either will work but I would personally lean towards installing CCC 4 on Mavericks, migrating tasks, and then upgrading to Yosemite. I'm not sure why I recommend that, probably because that's how I did it and it works. :)

Here is some information about the migration process from 3.5 to 4: Upgrading from Carbon Copy Cloner 3.5 to Carbon Copy Cloner 4 | Carbon Copy Cloner | Bombich Software

As long as your use is non-commercial, your CCC license is a household license so you only need to pay once.

Best wishes,
Sarah

Sarah Bombich
Bombich Software, Inc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.