Empty mailboxes

Reaction score
I have installed a new HDD on my Macbook Pro. I can't reinstall OS from the Time Machine Backup, it reports an error, and asks me to run the install again. It is the same every time I try. I have now used Migration Assistant to install Maverick from Time Machine, and it went well, except all of my mailboxes in Apple Mail seems to be empty.

My 3 email accounts are pop-type.

I've tried to delete /library/mail/V2 and all it's content, and copied V2 from the Time Machine Backup to the Mac's Mail folder. I've deleted *mail* in Library/Cashes, and in libary/preferences, but all mailboxes still seems to be empty? I know they are not, V2 is over 2 GB.
What can I do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try this method of restoring your mail:

Open your Mail application on your MacBook Pro and leave it open. Now with your Time Machine external backup drive attached, enter Time Machine. Go to the latest date that your backups show (should be in pink on the right side) and select it. Time Machine should open in Mail. Click restore. It should restore to the default location.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You need to install an operating system on the new hard drive. Boot and hit Command + R and go into Recovery and download a new version of Mavericks, unless you burned a copy to a USB thumb drive first time around. Update and then with external connected use Migration Assistant to bring everything over.

If you have Mavericks on the thumb drive, connect, boot and hold down'C' and format the drive and do a clean install that way.

OP
M
Reaction score
You need to install an operating system on the new hard drive. Boot and hit Command + R and go into Recovery and download a new version of Mavericks, unless you burned a copy to a USB thumb drive first time around. Update and then with external connected use Migration Assistant to bring everything over.

If you have Mavericks on the thumb drive, connect, boot and hold down'C' and format the drive and do a clean install that way.

I've misinformed. I've already installed Maverick by the way You suggested. Problems with mail migration was still there. Now I've imported it all, with all the problems who followed. A couple of days work, but now it is done, and I'm satisfied. Thank you for your time.

OP
M
Reaction score
Try this method of restoring your mail:

Open your Mail application on your MacBook Pro and leave it open. Now with your Time Machine external backup drive attached, enter Time Machine. Go to the latest date that your backups show (should be in pink on the right side) and select it. Time Machine should open in Mail. Click restore. It should restore to the default location.

I couldn't restore all the Mailbox with all it's content, and all the accounts. So I reinstalled Maverick and imported the mail-backup into the newly installed. It gave a problem with dates in hundreds of mails, but now it's done, and I'm running Apple Mail again. Thanks for your time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.