eMac - Upgrading HD size & Cooling

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac - 1GHz G4 - 768MB RAM - 200GB - DVDRW
Hi all,

Question #1: Is there a way to put in a new 300GB hard drive without having to reload the OS? I know with my Windows computer, I used a program called Partition Magic where it made an exact image of the old drive onto the new drive. Is there a program for Mac that will let me do the same?

Question #2: I read that you can lower the fan speed on the eMac to a much lower RPM without it affecting anything. Is this true? Wouldn't Apple set it at a higher rpm for a reason?

Thank you for your help! :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I researched it on google and came up with Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper!. Give those a search, I think those are what you are looking for.
One would assume, that changing the fan speeds is critical. Why would they run harder than they have to? Plus, keeping your computer cooler will make it last longer. If you turn them down (if it's possible) you could potentially fry the processor rendering your computer useless. All macs I've researched are energy star compliant so I would think they don't guzzle down electricity if that's what you're worried about....
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
Yeah SuperDuper is great and will copy the exact contents of the drive onto your new drive. I've used it many times and I think it's lovely.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, you two! I've ordered a DVDRW and 200GB hard drive. I would like to get up to 1gb of RAM, but that's kind of out of the budget right now. I hope the processor is fast enough for iMovie.

Another question: When I do the transfer, are there any special tools I need? Will I be able to hook both hard drives together while inside the machine? I don't have a tower-style mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I have used superduper. Its good and its free.

As for fan speed do a google on fan control...I'm sure there is a software program that you can install.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bump: When I do the transfer, are there any special tools I need? Will I be able to hook both hard drives together while inside the machine? I don't have a tower-style mac.

Thanks!

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bump bump bump

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Help!! Anyone??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
First of all, which eMac do you have? Please list the specs.

If you are really determined to image the old drive to the new one, then you can probably have them both hooked up with the thing torn open. You'll probably have to disconnect the CD/DVD drive and plug the new hard drive in tehre. It's a totally temporary thing. Just remember to set one to slave, and remember to set it back. After you do the imaging and everything, you can put everything back where it belongs and you should be able to run fine.

If you need any information about your eMac, check this site out. It had all sorts of guides and upgrade info. I don't know which Mac you have, so you'll have to pick the right one.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the first generation eMac with 700mhz, 768mb ram, 40gb hard drive.

I tore it apart and ran a long IDE cable where the HD plugs in to the back of the computer so that I could hook two HD's together. I hooked them up to the power supply of my desktop computer since the emac's power cords wouldn't reach, but the power on button broke and now I can't turn it on. When I plug power into the power supply of the eMac, it does make the sound that it usually makes. Is there a secondary switch built in that I could use for the time being?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.