eMac turns off when moved backwards..

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here, and I have a problem. I just picked up a 1.42 Ghz eMac, and it works great, except for one thing. Whenever I push on the top of the front of the computer and tilt it back, it shuts off. It doesn't shut off on it's own, only when I tilt it back slightly. I can move it a bit forwards and to the sides, but it pretty much only shuts off when moved back. Would this be a problem with my generic black power cord (I've checked it and it's very secure and inserted all the way), a power connection of some kind inside the eMac, or the power supply itself? I'm pretty certain it's not a capacitor issue, and everything works great in general. I've also tried plugging it into a different wall outlet, and it does the same thing. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you move it backwards, is the the Power Cord getting pushed on at all where it plugs into the Emac? It almost sounds like the power plug on the Emac itself or cord. Have you tried a different power cord since I am pretty sure the Emac like the older iMacs use a standard PC power cord.

OP
J
Reaction score
Nope, there is nothing touching the cord or anything when I push it back. I've tried jiggling the cord and the plug itself, and nothing happens. It's very weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you actually tried what dtravis7 suggested ~ change the cord? Standard PC lead, and if that is not the problem be very careful as there may well be something shorting out.

OP
J
Reaction score
I haven't tried using a different cord, but I don't have one at the moment. I found out that it's probably a 3-pin connector (not sure what it's called or for, probably moving power from the supply to the logic board or something) connected to the logic board. Apparently, it might be one of the pins on it that loses voltage when moved in that direction. I guess tightening the logic board down or tightening the actual connector should fix the problem. Also, thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you live in the USA? If so all computers here at least have a 3-pin power jack on the computer. One is for Hot, Other for Neutral and the other for Ground.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes I do live in the US, and mine has the standard power jack. The person I talked to yesterday said this, "On the back side of the motherboard there is a plug with a pin header plug that pluggs into the chassis of computer, when you tilt it the voltage prob. drops on one of pins and causes the shutdown. Screwing the mother board down tighter will prob. fix the issue." What pin header plug is he referring to? I don't think he means the actual power plug on the side of the computer, but maybe so. What do you think he means?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.