Eliminating hiss, pop, etc.

Reaction score
What software do you use to eliminate hiss, pop, crackle on analog music recorded from LP? Can Sound Studio handle this? Is there a freeware/shareware program for Mac?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
dependant on the software, alot of them out there have plugins that will eliminate the annoying popping. firstly, i would figure out what program youre wanting to use. do you have an interface to convert the audio? many interfaces only support certain software, so keep that in mind.

M

MacHeadCase

A freebie called Final Vinyl came with some Griffin Technology devices, including the iMic, and it has a special algorithm in it to eliminate just that.

OP
G
Reaction score
I've got Final Vinyl and iMic. But where does it tell me how to eliminate the unwanted sounds?

M

MacHeadCase

Well I have never used it so am in the dark on this one... Maybe other members have an idea on how this software works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have read very good things about Sound Soap. See http://www.bias-inc.com/products/soundsoap. I haven't used it myself yet, but it is on my list. I have a large collection of vinyl that I am eager to convert.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 1.5GHz Intel Solo 60GB 512MB RAM
I'm in a TV production class at school and the only thing I can think of without software is to talk over the mic, not into it. perhaps buy a pop filter maybe.
Sorry I can't say anything about software help but hopefully this will help in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Clean the record first, use a good cleaner to eliminate as much static as possible.

Chop off any blank lead time, leave a little if you like, select it and clear the section so it is silent.

Select the end of this silent section and a small section of the beginning and use a fade in operation to ensure there are no clicks.

Do the same for the end of the recording, using a fadeout.

Run an anti-click type filter over the rest.

Reaction score
Using AUDACITY you can zoom right down to the microsecond it occurs, then lower the amplitude to the correct level and you will never be able to tell it was worked on. But if you have a lot of clicks, I guess that would be tedious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Back in the OS9 days, SoundEdit16 has a feature called "noise gate". That was used to help with the hiss. Do newer programs have that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You can try SoundSoap:
http://www.bias-inc.com/products/

overview.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.