Eliminate pop up ads

Reaction score
Recently pop up ads have gone up a lot... like 10x what I had before, even where they redirect me to another link with more ads. A lot of them are Google ads.

Using Safari OS 10.9.5 Maverick.

Have search for results, turned off extensions, deleted any software added in the past 30 days, and a number of other things I can't remember.

Looking at eliminating Google ads, seems like one can't. So, if I drop all my google accounts, and quit using google, will that stop the ads.

They are SO bad my efficiency has been cut in half. Thx for the help

Seevee

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Take a look at uBlock Origin - download the .safariextz file and open that to install it. That should help to eliminate any ads and some ads/scripts that open up popups.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thx guys for the software options.... So many advise against adding any software for popups, cleaning, etc. Are we SURE these don't cause issues?

Thanks.

Seevee

OP
S
Reaction score
Take a look at uBlock Origin - download the .safariextz file and open that to install it. That should help to eliminate any ads and some ads/scripts that open up popups.

This looks complicated, is it software of a code or something that takes a techie? I'm a basic, simple user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
This looks complicated, is it software of a code or something that takes a techie? I'm a basic, simple user.

Plus it's alpha and I'd not suggest a basic, simple user attempt installing or using it.

I would suggest using https://www.getadblock.com

- Patrick
======

OP
S
Reaction score
Plus it's alpha and I'd not suggest a basic, simple user attempt installing or using it.

- Patrick
======

Do you use it and does it really work? Same question for the others. Appreciate the responses, but I've download more software like this that caused more problems that they were worth and just didn't work... would like one to work but scared.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The suggestions are for browser extensions not applications, yes, you are right we do not recommend cleaning apps but we do advocate good proven, usually free anti malware/adware apps such as malwarebytes a free app for removing all sorts of malicious Adware available here; https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/
Ghostery, a browser extension which blocks trackers and a range of resulting popups and uBlock as well as Ad Blocker Plus all available from your browser extension library (Chrome Menu > Window > Extensions > Get More Extensions). All of which will, combined, prevent the issues you are experiencing in the future, but first you may need to clear your browser History, Cookies and Cache to get rid of any residual links, scripts or malicious data.
I am currently writing this on Google Chrome, running ABP and Ghostery. I note that ABP has blocked 5 Ads and Ghostery has blocked 15 Trackers. Usually I White List this site but I just switched them on as an example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you use it and does it really work?

Yes. And I'm also using Safari OS 10.9.5 Maverick. No troubles with it at all.

If you want more choices or reviews you can check some out at:
https://www.macupdate.com/find/mac/AdBlock

Or the App Store which I don't always use, but I find it interesting that a search on 'AdBlock' lists some with a good review that barely get one star at macupdate. Plus the fact that many have a price yet most of the ones at macupdate are free.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
The suggestions are for browser extensions not applications, yes, you are right we do not recommend cleaning apps but we do advocate good proven, usually free anti malware/adware apps such as malwarebytes a free app for removing all sorts of malicious Adware available here; https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/
Ghostery, a browser extension which blocks trackers and a range of resulting popups and uBlock as well as Ad Blocker Plus all available from your browser extension library (Chrome Menu > Window > Extensions > Get More Extensions). All of which will, combined, prevent the issues you are experiencing in the future, but first you may need to clear your browser History, Cookies and Cache to get rid of any residual links, scripts or malicious data.
I am currently writing this on Google Chrome, running ABP and Ghostery. I note that ABP has blocked 5 Ads and Ghostery has blocked 15 Trackers. Usually I White List this site but I just switched them on as an example.

Rod,

I'd suspect if I eliminated cookies, I'd eliminate all info and prefs for sites I regularly visit, is there a way to do that by date?
Suspect no down side of cleaning the cache. Will do both.

Have no scripts that I know of, but

As for extensions, not sure how to get or load them, when I click on Safari/Safari Extensions, it says page it can't load it. Don't know how to add an extension... googled it, no luck.

However, downloaded Ghostery and it loaded as an extension.. but have no clue how to use it. Says there's a tool bar button, can't find it.

Have malwarebuyes downloaded and ready to try it.

slowly getting there, thx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know how to add an extension... googled it, no luck.

That's a bit surprising, try this:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=tvtKWNr8AqnP8gf73rPICw

Should be enough hits to answer your questions.

Says there's a tool bar button, can't find it.

Check your Safari preferences > Extensions to make sure the extension you want to use is enabled.

As for the Ghostery extension with Safari and enabled, it should show something like this, and just click it to see options on its use:

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 10.49.21 AM.png

OP
S
Reaction score
That's a bit surprising, try this:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=tvtKWNr8AqnP8gf73rPICw

Should be enough hits to answer your questions.

Check your Safari preferences > Extensions to make sure the extension you want to use is enabled.

As for the Ghostery extension with Safari and enabled, it should show something like this, and just click it to see options on its use:

View attachment 25450

I've done that. Tried to find extensions with Preferences/Extensions... get extensions and it doesn't load.
However, Ghostery worked by installing it from the Ghostery download.

screen.jpg

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No problem. Downloading the .safariextz file and double clicking it is all you need to do.

- Patrick
======
True, the current development release is but there are stable builds further down the page. ;)

Seevee, you're fine with any of the other options listed here - all the adblockers do basically the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've done that. Tried to find extensions with Preferences/Extensions... get extensions and it doesn't load.
However, Ghostery worked by installing it from the Ghostery download.

View attachment 25456

That "extensions.apple.com/en-ca" URL that Safari generates for extensions often doesn't work unless it gets translated to something like https://safari-extensions.apple.com or just use that instead.

But Apple's site seems very limited to me so I don't bother using it.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I've used Adblock Plus for years with both Firefox and Safari and never had issues with any OS. Free download from App Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Seevee you have two options. Use recommended AdBlockPlus and stop ads or put up with them. Pure and simple.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thx, downloaded AdBlockPlus, can I use it with Ghostery.... any benefit?
You can use the two together. I'm using them together right now and have been for some time.

The benefit is that Ghostery blocks many of the "beacons" and "trackers that try to monitor/follow where you go on the web.

Reaction score
Recently pop up ads have gone up a lot... like 10x what I had before, even where they redirect me to another link with more ads. A lot of them are Google ads.

Using Safari OS 10.9.5 Maverick.

Have search for results, turned off extensions, deleted any software added in the past 30 days, and a number of other things I can't remember.

Looking at eliminating Google ads, seems like one can't. So, if I drop all my google accounts, and quit using google, will that stop the ads.

They are SO bad my efficiency has been cut in half. Thx for the help

Seevee

Close pop-up ads on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch has iOS 9.3 or later:
If the pop-up won't close or reappears, you can tap in the Smart Search field and enter a new URL or search term. Or just close the tab: Tap and then tap on that tab.
If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch has an earlier version of iOS:
If you see a Block Alerts button after you dismiss a pop-up multiple times, tap the button to stop showing alerts from that webpage.
If you can't close a pop-up, force Safari to close. To prevent Safari from automatically reopening any windows, go to Settings > Safari, then tap Clear History and Website Data. This also removes your browser history and cookies.
You can also adjust settings in Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to help protect your device.

Close pop-up ads on your Mac

Start by closing any pop-ups that are open on your Mac.
If your Mac is running Safari 9.1:
Press the Close button on the pop-up.
If the pop-up reappears or will not close, you can click on the tab or close the entire Safari window.
If your Mac is running Safari 9 (prior to version 9.1):
If the pop-up includes a "Don't show more alerts from this webpage" checkbox, select the checkbox before closing the pop-up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.