Ejecting drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
Hi All
Just three weeks into my first MacBook and something I am not sure about. It refures to uploading pictures from my Dig camera, after reading a book on OSX it states that after using a drive, you should not just pull the plug but Eject by dragging to the Trash, when I have looked at a DVD it does show on the desktop so can be dragged to Eject, but the Camera does not show. I have uploaded photos on two occasions and just pulled the plug from the USB, and all has been OK. Would love some advice as to if this is OK to do.

Chris

M

MacHeadCase

This has to do with the camera brand or model. Some show up on the desktop, others don't. I use a USB media card reader so really can't tell if my camera mounts or not, though.

OP
chrisiw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
Thanks for reply, I did not know that, so really if it dose not mount its ok to just pull the USB plug, I must say I have done just that so far and its been OK

Chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What camera is this? Some have an option in their setup. Brand and model please.

OP
chrisiw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
Its a Canon IXUS60 Thanks for help

Chris

OP
chrisiw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
I have just noticed that my IPod dosent mount as well, but updates and charges ok

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
I have just noticed that my IPod dosent mount as well, but updates and charges ok

Chris

The iPod doesn't show up on the desktop by default.

You have to "enable disk use" for your iPod through iTunes.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have searched around and found nothing. A lot of Canon's don't have a Disk Mode and will not mount on the desktop. I downloaded the manual and nothing in the setup at all.

OP
chrisiw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
I have searched around and found nothing. A lot of Canon's don't have a Disk Mode and will not mount on the desktop. I downloaded the manual and nothing in the setup at all.

Thanks very much for help, it seems to be ok so far as I uploaded a few pictures and just pulled the plug after it was complete

Thanks

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I have a Canon S45 and it never mounts either. I have pulled the plug about 25 times and no problems (knock on wood!). Likewise, I have nothing to drag.

In fact, my Missing Manual doesn't even mention the mounting. Quote: "When the process is over, your freshly imported photos appear in the main iPhoto window, awaiting your organizational talents. You can now turn off your camera and unplug it." (Page 349)

Hope this helps you feel better about doing this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.