editing my mp3 files?

Reaction score
Dhivyya,

If it's any consolation I know exactly what you're talking about and the same issue brought me to this forum.

I've got a series of lectures on mp3 which I wanted to put into iTunes and compile a playlist, but when they get to iTunes their names have all changed and I can't search the whole series to collect them together to put in the playlist.

I changed the filenames in Finder to give them all a common searchable word in the filename but this obviously hasn't changed the "metadata" for iTunes. I'm a greenhorn and have little idea what metadata is and howcome I can't change the nature of the mp3 sufficiently in Finder for iTunes to react.

The titles in iTunes don't even relate to the original filenames before I changed them in Finder.

So the only way forward I can see is, like you said, to play them from Finder!

Otherwise iTunes is cool.

nemo judex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Your trouble is that iTunes is there to manage your files but you're messing with them in Finder.

It's like putting something in a cupboard so you can store it and know where it is, just for someone to come along and move it.

It's pretty straightforward:
Name your files however you like.
Add your files to iTunes
If you can't see them immediately look in the recently added playlist.
Select one or more of the files, right-click 'get info'
From here you are editing the mp3 tag, the metadata.
You can add all sorts of info here. album name, artist, genre, notes, artwork etc.

But once the file is in iTunes you should only ever manipulate it from within iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.