EDGE Connection - Always on or only when needed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB C2D 2.16, 3gb Ram, 250gb hd, 10.5.3
I've search near and far and found nothing on this. I'd like to know if EDGE on the original iPhone is always on or does it become active only when email or Safari is requesting data. I know the E means that there is EDGE coverage in the area. Does the swirly-sun ray-like circle indicate that the connection is active or is it always active (pinging) somewhere to keep the connection alive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB Hard drive, Mac Mini 1.5 Intel Core Solo 512Mb Ram
i think only when the wheel is spinning the Edge connection is active. Sometimes your in an area that displays full Edge coverage but when you open a webpage you suddenly have no connection.

Reaction score
seeing the edge network is one thing and using it is another. Its always there, but the phone only uses the edge network when checking email or surfing the web. there is no pinging involved so to say. Now there is the standard periodic tower to phone communication to identify where your phone is in the network

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB C2D 2.16, 3gb Ram, 250gb hd, 10.5.3
Thanks to both. I was just a bit worried as i've switched my iPhone to a limited plan. Reinstalled Boss Prefs and can switch EDGE off now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.