Easy to transfer info from old iMac to new iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X version 10.6.8
I am thinking about getting a new iMac as my current one is six years old (touch wood no problems with it yet!).
But how easy is it to transfer all my files etc. to a new iMac?
This includes my iTunes library, Microsoft office software, Logic Express and music files related to that.

Can I put it on an external hard drive then just plug that in to the new iMac and hit transfer or is it more complex than that?

Some guidance with this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But how easy is it to transfer all my files etc. to a new iMac?
This includes my iTunes library, Microsoft office software, Logic Express and music files related to that.

Regarding this part…it depends on what OS version the current computer is running…and what versions the software are. if you purchase a brand new iMac…it will be running the latest OS version…and if the applications you use are older versions…they may not be compatible with newer OS versions.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X version 10.6.8
Mac is running OS X version 10.6.8,
iTunes is 11.4,
iPhoto 7.1.5,
Logic Express is 8.0.2,
Microsoft Word/Excel etc. is 12.3.6.

These are the most important things I would want to transfer. There doesn't seem to be much assistance with issues like this on the apple website (hence me coming on here).

Is there a guide for updating hardware with all the necessary details to ensure a smooth transition?

Thank you for your response.

Reaction score
Well, all of these will need to be updated. iTunes, for instance, is on v 12, Office is on 14.4.5, etc.

What I suggest you do is 1) run the update process on your old Mac for all installed software (you will know this, but for the sake of completeness, not all software updates through the software update function in the "Apple" Menu; Office for instance has its own updater), 2) get a sufficiently large external drive, and create a Time Machine Backup of the old Mac. You can then use the migration assistant to transfer the data. My guess is that Office will require you to enter the regsitration key.

btw, Apple provides the following information, readily available through "the google":

OS X: How to migrate data from another Mac using Mavericks - Apple Support

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac mini with 16GB RAM & 1TB SSD and a 2018 Mac Book Air with 256GB SSD.
I just transfered all my info from my mid 2010 Mac Mini running Mavericks to my new late 2014 Mac Mini running Yosemite using my Time Machine backup. Everything transferred perfectly, no problems at all.
I did have to enter the registration key before Office would would work. Make sure to save all of your registration keys. They can come in handy. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
This happens when you get so far behind.

Older PowerPC applications will not work on Lion OS X.7 or later. This includes Office 2004 and similar aged applications. It is normal for larger apps like Office and Adobe to have to use the activatiod code.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.