• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

easiest/best DV video cam with Mac OSX

Reaction score
Hi all - kinda frustrated here.

I recently bought a JVC Everio Hard Disk camcorder. of course the salesperson says "it just plugs in and you can play/edit, etc. with Imovie".

the manual has an interface for pc and software for editing, etc., but for MAC I'm apparently SOL, no software included, but they refer to another vendor to download Mpeg2 play/edit software for $50.

The file format it creates for video is .mod (which I THINK is mpeg-2 or mv2), and I think the audio is .moi .

So my question is, is there any hard disk camcorder on the market that you know of that I could buy, bring home, and plug in and play/edit with my G4 powerbook? Or are all cameras going to record in a format that I will need to download a bunch of extra software for to view and edit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Hi all - kinda frustrated here.

I recently bought a JVC Everio Hard Disk camcorder. of course the salesperson says "it just plugs in and you can play/edit, etc. with Imovie".

the manual has an interface for pc and software for editing, etc., but for MAC I'm apparently SOL, no software included, but they refer to another vendor to download Mpeg2 play/edit software for $50.

The file format it creates for video is .mod (which I THINK is mpeg-2 or mv2), and I think the audio is .moi .

So my question is, is there any hard disk camcorder on the market that you know of that I could buy, bring home, and plug in and play/edit with my G4 powerbook? Or are all cameras going to record in a format that I will need to download a bunch of extra software for to view and edit?

No big issue, I have an everio that I just got.

Rule 1. Never trust a sales guy - his job is to sell...not to know.

So, there is a nice piece of software call MPEGStremClip, here is the url of the download page

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

1. Copy video folder contents from Everio to Mac.

2. Delete any file that is not .mod

3. (optional step) To preview your .mod before converting, just change the extension to .mpg or .mpeg, and use mplayer (free) or vlc (free). Quicktime will play video also, but no audio. Change extension back to .mod

4. Drag clip you want to covert over to MPEG Stream Clip, you can preview the clip here as well.

5. File >> Export as XXXX <--- Export as whatever you want. If you want to edit it in iMovie, the do Export as DV

That's it, now you can delete the .mod files too.

Hope this helps, and it only takes a few minutes once you have the software installed.

Brian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.