Early 2009 MacBook display flickering and questions!

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on this forum! I currently own a Early 2009 MacBook (white) im sure you all know what that looks like. For sometime now ive been having a issue with the display. It HAS to be at the lowest setting or else the display with flicker off. When it flickers off you can see very very little of whats on the display. (meaning its not in sleep mode just the backlight is going out). I brought this MacBook to the apple store and they said that it maybe an "Inverter cable", "Logic Board", or the LCD is going out. Anyone else out there with this same problem? I already own a new macbook air so i dont want to invest in alot of money to have the regular macbook fixed but i had an idea but was unsure if it would work.

If i were to purchase a refurbished 20' Apple Cinema Display for about $100 would it be compatible with the Early 2009 Macbook? I would just plug it all up if possible and just use the MacBook as if it were a iMac/desktop. Is there anything else i would need to purchase? like adapters ect?

Is there anyway i can find out if this is a display problem or those others i listed? Im thinking of testing it out on a test monitor of some sort first.

http://youtu.be/SO41Zj64gro

Heres a link to what it does!

Thank You SO MUCH!!

p.s. not sure if this is the right section!
Jordy

unnamed.jpg

41BFMYH8STL._SY355_.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like either a defective backlight or inverter. Changing out the inverter board is much less expensive and fairly easy to do. The backlight is another story since it's buried in the display shell which has to be completely disassembled to get at. Apple won't even change out a backlight in that model, but rather they'll change the entire display.

Go to www.ifixit.com for the inverter and instructions on how to change it out.

OP
M
Reaction score
It sounds like either a defective backlight or inverter. Changing out the inverter board is much less expensive and fairly easy to do. The backlight is another story since it's buried in the display shell which has to be completely disassembled to get at. Apple won't even change out a backlight in that model, but rather they'll change the entire display.

Go to www.ifixit.com for the inverter and instructions on how to change it out.

Thank you for your quick reply! When i went to apple they wouldnt even touch the thing and called it an antique.. Is there anyway to know for sure which problem it is?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thank you for your quick reply! When i went to apple they wouldnt even touch the thing and called it an antique.. Is there anyway to know for sure which problem it is?

No, not really. We have had lots of folks over the years post the same problem in our forums and the answer is usually the same. That's why we suggest changing out the inverter first as that is the easiest and least expensive repair. If it turns out to be the backlight itself, you would be better off changing the entire display. You can probably get a new display for your model MacBook for around $150.00. Of course that's assuming you can do the job yourself.

OP
M
Reaction score
No, not really. We have had lots of folks over the years post the same problem in our forums and the answer is usually the same. That's why we suggest changing out the inverter first as that is the easiest and least expensive repair. If it turns out to be the backlight itself, you would be better off changing the entire display. You can probably get a new display for your model MacBook for around $150.00. Of course that's assuming you can do the job yourself.

Ive never done a job like this before and im sure a computer repair place would charge me an arm and a leg /:

I might just hook it up to a monitor and test it to see if even if the display is out if it work on another screen and just do that

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check around for repair prices. There are several reliable on line repair services which advertise prices for repairs. But that means you'll have to ship your MacBook to them to do the work. Your idea of using an external monitor is a good one and may be the least expensive resolution to the problem. However, your MacBook will no longer be portable.

OP
M
Reaction score
Check around for repair prices. There are several reliable on line repair services which advertise prices for repairs. But that means you'll have to ship your MacBook to them to do the work. Your idea of using an external monitor is a good one and may be the least expensive resolution to the problem. However, your MacBook will no longer be portable.

checked a couple places wanted anywhere from$150-230 and none of them were able to give a clear diagnostic, it was more like a guess n hope.

i wouldn't mind if the macbook was no longer portable, i bought a new macbook a couple months ago and i would just make this one a desktop with the monitor if its compatible. would you by any chance know if they above images are compatible?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any good inexpensive monitor should work OK. That and the proper adapter and cable is all you need to turn your MacBook into a desktop model. For the adapter and cable, check out monoprice.com as they have about the best on line stock and good prices.

OP
M
Reaction score
Any good inexpensive monitor should work OK. That and the proper adapter and cable is all you need to turn your MacBook into a desktop model. For the adapter and cable, check out monoprice.com as they have about the best on line stock and good prices.

thank you for the help! i appreciate your time.

i had time so i brought my macbook to a store called geekmatic, great people, very helpful, a very high recommendation from me! they hooked it up to an external display and as the macbook display the external worked perfect! so all i have to do now is find the display I'm looking for.... which is kinda tough because the i was interested in backed out of the sale.

anyone know any good reliable websites that would have a 20in MacBook Cinema Display for sale at a reasonable price? ($85-110 area)

i found this website called innovatepc.com but know nothing about them other than they're based out of Long Island, NY and sell refurbished products (they currently have this display for $99 refurbished)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.