Early 2006 MBP Fan Noise w/Video

Czu

Reaction score
About 3 months ago I just replaced the fans in my Early '06 MacBook Pro. But just recently the left fan started making the strange noise.

Recently that day the fans got up to 4000+ RPMs when I was doing some intense post-production in Aperture 3.

Video of sound.
MacBook Pro Fan Problem - YouTube

What would be causing this noise?
Would taking the left fan out and spraying some WD-40 in it help at all?
Also how long can I ignore this problem for? Because I won't be able to open it up till the 12th.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like the bearing on that fan is noisy. You may be able to quiet it down by using a drop of sewing machine oil. But be very careful about applying lubricant that it doesn't leak out on the logic board. WD-40 is too light and may leak beside the danger of over spray.

OP
C

Czu

Reaction score
Sounds like the bearing on that fan is noisy. You may be able to quiet it down by using a drop of sewing machine oil. But be very careful about applying lubricant that it doesn't leak out on the logic board. WD-40 is too light and may leak beside the danger of over spray.

Would I need to take the fan out of the MBP and take it apart in order to do this? and if so, how? (A link to a tutorial would do just fine)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try the step by step take apart instructions on the iFixit: The free repair manual web site. They have the step by step for removing the fans and general take apart instructions for the entire machine. You might wind up having to replace the fan if the bearings are sealed.

OP
C

Czu

Reaction score
How would I be able to tell if its fans have sealed berrings?

It's a MacBook Pro 1,1 if that helps anyone figure it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.