e-mail problems

S

seant

hi i cant send emails from my mac account even though i can recieve any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
that actually happened to me before....make sure you entered ur outgoing mail server correctly (for aol it should be smtp.aol.com)
also, go into your library, click preferences, find com.apple.mail.plist and trash it. then setup mail again and give like a day or 2 and see if it works.

Reaction score
It's likely that your SMTP incoming mail server information is not setup properly...

You need to fill out the form under "Server Settings"...it's a typical problem and mail is very touchy about how it's setup.

OP
S

seant

port

cheers for getting back to me guys

i went to connection doctor and the pop account is ok but the SMTP server the message appears as so:

could not connect to this SMTP server. check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the account preferences. also verify that the server accepts connections on port 587. if it does not, change the port number in the advanced tab of account preferences

i changed the port number there it is 110 so i changed it to 587 and there was no change and it went back to asking for my SMTP password which kept asking me every time i put the right one in if you guys could help on this one i would most appreciate it

cheers
seant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I would call your internet provider and reask them what the incoming and outgoing server settings are supposed to be.

I've had to delete and reinstall one of my mailboxes to get it to work, but if you do that you will lose all messages sent/received that are on your harddrive now. I did it over the phone w/ apple support and they walked me thru it so that I didn't lose things.

However, you probably just have to re-enter some info and it will work fine! Let us know if you're still stuck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
Actually, I misstated this. I tried deleting and reinstalling my mailboxes (which WILL delete all your messages) but it didn't fix it. I had to uninstall Mail and resinstall it, which was over the the phone with Apple BTW. It was pretty complicated, IMO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.