• Mac-Forums.com will not in any way, shape, or form be held liable for anything that happens in this forum. It is up to you to make a sound decision on whether to buy or sell to someone here. This forum is only provided as a convenience for our memebers.

Use of this forum is at your own risk.

For further information on protecting yourself in online transactions, please visit the usa.gov-online-safety website.

A few things to keep in mind:

• This forum is use at your own risk
    • The moderators and staff of this forum will have nothing to do with private transactions. Use common sense!
    • Flaming and personal attacks are prohibited and you could be banned without warning for participating in such things.
    • This forum will only be visible by members
    • The most basic rule is USE YOUR COMMON SENSE!!
    • Our forum rules prohibit the discussion of Hackintoshes, this includes the sale of such machines. Any thread advertising a Hackintosh for sale will be deleted and punitive actions may be taken.

Note: Only users with enough posts, an adequate period of time as a member here, and in good reputation standing are able to post in this forum.

DVI-HDMI Cable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I have a Belkin DVI-HDMI cable which I used to hook up my macbook to my HDTV. Now that I've sold my macbook I no longer have a use for this cable, and this sucker is LONG, about 15ft. Does anyone have a need for it?

I'll take a trade for an equal length VGA cable.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Believe it or not...I've been looking for a DVI to HDMI cable to use from my MacBook Pro to TV. Am I correct that I also need a separate audio cable?

As far as a trade...I don't think I have a 15 foot VGA cable...that's pretty darn long!;)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Believe it or not...I've been looking for a DVI to HDMI cable to use from my MacBook Pro to TV. Am I correct that I also need a separate audio cable?

As far as a trade...I don't think I have a 15 foot VGA cable...that's pretty darn long!;)

- Nick

I'll take any offers as well shoot me a PM =) The above post is correct. You'll always need a separate audio cable unless you're dealing with an HDMI out (like the new mac mini has).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys for confirming the audio cable thing. I was reading some other posts here on Mac-Forums...and they seemed to indicate that a separate audio cable was needed.

If I was to get say a 12 foot DVI to HDMI cable...where do I get an audio cable that's equally as long? I'm familiar with the shorter versions, just not 12 foot ones!;) I'm trying to hook it up to a Plasma TV. I think I saw some RCA audio jacks on the TV...not sure what other audio ports there are at this point (I haven't really looked really hard yet).;)

- Nick

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Thanks guys for confirming the audio cable thing. I was reading some other posts here on Mac-Forums...and they seemed to indicate that a separate audio cable was needed.

If I was to get say a 12 foot DVI to HDMI cable...where do I get an audio cable that's equally as long? I'm familiar with the shorter versions, just not 12 foot ones!;) I'm trying to hook it up to a Plasma TV. I think I saw some RCA audio jacks on the TV...not sure what other audio ports there are at this point (I haven't really looked really hard yet).;)

- Nick

This is an interesting question. Not so much where to get the cable but if your tv has the correct inputs for it.

I just snuck behind my tv (42 inch LCD Vizio) and it does. What you need is an HDMI input that also has the RCA audio jack next to it. I have three HDMI inputs on my TV however only one has this jack with it. Since HDMI cables carry sound and video there's usually not an audio jack with the HDMI, so I would check for that. Since the DVI port is video only, you'll need the cords...

I would get something like this, you plug it into your headphone jack and it allows you to plug RCA stereo cables into it, which can be acquired numerous places at a ton of lengths. But, you'll need that HDMI/RCA input on your tv.

I had external speakers hooked up to my macbook so this was never an issue, but if you want the audio to play out of your tv, I think that's your best bet. Ironically, the VGA inputs on tvs always have the standard headphone jack lol

This bad boy is 25 feet.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Looks like this, just for reference.
0724102324.jpg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check that link in my previous post. Looks like you might need something like For only $2.92 each when QTY 50+ purchased - PREMIUM 10FT 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable - Gold Plated | 3.5mm/RCA Audio Cables. That one is only 10 feet but they may have longer ones. BTW that 22AWG wire is kinda thick but that didn't bother me. It was going to be out of sight.

I needed something a bit longer so I got a set of audio cables, 20' I think, and connected them to a connector I already had. The connector was headphone hack on one end and Female RCA on the other.

If you can't find something give them a called. I had to call to correct my mistake in an order and the folks were very nice to work with. Seemed reasonably knowledgeable as well.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Check that link in my previous post. Looks like you might need something like For only $2.92 each when QTY 50+ purchased - PREMIUM 10FT 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable - Gold Plated | 3.5mm/RCA Audio Cables. That one is only 10 feet but they may have longer ones. BTW that 22AWG wire is kinda thick but that didn't bother me. It was going to be out of sight.

I needed something a bit longer so I got a set of audio cables, 20' I think, and connected them to a connector I already had. The connector was headphone hack on one end and Female RCA on the other.

If you can't find something give them a called. I had to call to correct my mistake in an order and the folks were very nice to work with. Seemed reasonably knowledgeable as well.

Good prices! That cable would be great if it meets your length requirements and you have the correct inputs.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice catch about the placement of those audio jacks XMARLTONX. I forgot about that. I forgot about that since I was routing my sound to the stereo. That way the same set of audio cables would allow the computer to play my iTunes audio through the stereo.

Rep bump coming for you. Good info there.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Nice catch about the placement of those audio jacks XMARLTONX. I forgot about that. I forgot about that since I was routing my sound to the stereo. That way the same set of audio cables would allow the computer to play my iTunes audio through the stereo.

Rep bump coming for you. Good info there.

Thanks =) I wasn't sure there were HDMI jacks with audio inputs until I saw I had one lol I sent the audio to external speakers so I never looked. Its cool to see they exist though.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Pigoo, I would suggest before you go to purchasing cables, make sure your HDTV will accept separate audio input with it's HDMI port. You should check the sticky:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/193239-connecting-your-mac-your-tv.html

In particular, post # 3 will tell you where and what to look for.

If you're going to run the audio to your audio receiver rather than the TV, it won't matter.

He could also look at the picture I took for a reference :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

That's great, if he has the same TV.

Not all HDTVs use RCA jacks in conjunction with their HDMI port.
Not all HDTVs even have the audio jack you need to use located next to the HDMI jack. Some brands use the PC input and you have to go into the audio menu of the HDMI port you're using to change the audio from digital to analog for it to work. I've seen others that use the Video # 1 audio ports.
Not all HDTVs even allow for a separate audio input with an HDMI port.
Some HDTVs have those RCA jacks sitting there just like yours. But, they're for connecting some of the older DVI DVD players and the HDMI port will not work with a computer at all.

Always best to take a peek in the Owner's manual. Can save a lot of aggravation later.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You mean that FUZZY...out of focus picture!;) Ha ha!

I'll take a photo my TV's ports...and see what you guys think.

- Nick

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
You mean that FUZZY...out of focus picture!;) Ha ha!

I'll take a photo my TV's ports...and see what you guys think.

- Nick

LOL camera phone only =)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.