• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Dvd's !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 Mac Pro
We still get some customers who want dvd's. We film, edit and still (old way) burn them. Now since Catalina, Os Monterey after editing in F.C.P.X we can not burn any dvd's. In share, the burn quits all the time at 66% of the burn. Apple is working on their problem. Anyone else in Mac land have this issue. We do share to our D.T. and transfer the vid. to a flash dr. this alway's works. Apple tells us to turn on the burner then turn the pro. This use to work with Catalina, Now "NUTTIN"
Help. Joseph-dvd burn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Can you Share/Export from FCPX as a movie/video file and then use Burn(as above)?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 Mac Pro
Are you able to burn your media to a disc using other apps? If so, I'd try that. Burn is one long-time Mac app worth checking out, and it's free!
https://burn-osx.sourceforge.io/Pages/English/home.html
Never tried other "Apps" We always used F.C.P.X. Mac senior never told us about other apps. He did advise, sent us a How to link. We have to use a partition. This may work..Oh Burn! where is this? we never heard of it? free? WHOA! .Thanks for your post. Joseph

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 Mac Pro
Can you Share/Export from FCPX as a movie/video file and then use Burn(as above)?
Thank s to u and Lifeisabeach. We will come up with a cure. Thank U for the info. As posted to another Mac forum person, senior Apple advisor sent us a link "how to" it reads using a partition. We will be speaking to mac sales. We want a NEW mac to have the capabilities to burn dvd's. We do not always get customers who want their edited video burned to dvd's, but we paid for the best, we expect the best.
Thank u

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
We will be speaking to mac sales. We want a NEW mac to have the capabilities to burn dvd's. We do not always get customers who want their edited video burned to dvd's, but we paid for the best, we expect the best.

Don't be surprised if and when your Mac sales folks tell you you cannot have a new Mac with a built-in DVD drive, but I'm sure they could fix you up with a new Mac and an external DVD drive, but you could probably do that with your existing Mac model if you wanted for those customers who might need such a service that you could then provide.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Burn is free. But I very much doubt that it is 64-bit, thus it won't run under any Mac OS subsequent to Mojave.

Burn - Home

It was last updated 12/2021 and has a Big Sur-style icon now, at least according to MacUpdate. I didn’t download it and won’t be able to until tomorrow, but it certainly should be 64-bit.

Reaction score
It was last updated 12/2021 and has a Big Sur-style icon now, at least according to MacUpdate. I didn’t download it and won’t be able to until tomorrow, but it certainly should be 64-bit.

The most recent update on SourceForge is from 2010. I don't know where the copy of Burn on MacUpdate came from, but apparently not from the project on SourceForge. Also, why would it still be being updated in 2021 given that no Macs have come with optical drives for years now? I'd be extremely wary of it, coming from MacUpdate..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, why would it still be being updated in 2021 given that no Macs have come with optical drives for years now? I'd be extremely wary of it, coming from MacUpdate..

Just because Apple no longer supplies an optical drive with their new Macs there's no reason to assume that nobody burn CDs anymore.

And for what it's worth, my old version of Burn.app that I have not used for a while is certainly 64-bit, according to System Information:
System Information says:
Burn:
Version: 2.7.9
Obtained from: Identified Developer
Last Modified: 2020-03-08, 8:05 AM
Kind: Intel
64-Bit (Intel): Yes
Signed by: Developer ID Application: Maarten Foukhar (5M4D5N9TXW), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA

Version 3.1.5 is current version and available here:

https://burn-osx.sourceforge.io/Pages/English/home.html

A great piece of Mac software IMHO, and a lot better than a particular commercial application that has flogged itself as being so great for much too long. NOT!!!

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The most recent update on SourceForge is from 2010. I don't know where the copy of Burn on MacUpdate came from, but apparently not from the project on SourceForge. Also, why would it still be being updated in 2021 given that no Macs have come with optical drives for years now? I'd be extremely wary of it, coming from MacUpdate..

I had the same thought about the source after failing to see any indication of recent progress on SourceForge after you linked to them. Unfortunately I’m out of town and haven’t had time to dig some. Reviews are current on MacUpdate, but that’s not necessarily a certificate of trustworthiness. Is it possible to see who signed the binary downloadable via MU, assuming it’s signed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I downloaded and installed Burn 3.1.5 and it works. I got it on SourceForge and when I opened it today it update to version 3.1.6.

I also use an external BluRay Asus burner that works with my MBP.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
We will be speaking to mac sales. We want a NEW mac to have the capabilities to burn dvd's
Hmm...don't think Apple will be making a dvd equipped Mac just for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded and installed Burn 3.1.5 and it works. I got it on SourceForge and when I opened it today it update to version 3.1.6.

I also use an external BluRay Asus burner that works with my MBP.

Same. Well I don't do any burning, but reading Blu-Rays works great on my M1 MBA with an old portable BD reader/writer that has a mini-USB port (yeah, not even micro-USB!), so the format isn't in danger of dying out. At any rate, there's nothing to worry about here. The project page just hasn't been refreshed in a long time, but the app itself is still being developed and updated. Code page here:

Also, it's a 64-bit Universal binary. So have at it, folks!

Reaction score
Version 3.1.5 is current version and available here:

MacUpate, and similar file downloading services, haven't been safe for many years now. To make money they include adware and malware with their downloads. The prudent thing to do is to NEVER download software from such a service, and to only download your software from either Apple's App Store, or directly from the software developer's Web site.

Burn is an open source project, hosted on SourceForge. I gave the link to it. SourceForge isn't showing the more recent versions that appear on MacUpdate. It's extremely troubling that the more recent versions ONLY appear on MacUpdate. MacUpdate isn't a primary source of software, and it is highly suspect. Why don't the more recent versions appear on the developer's site (SourceForge)? This is a huge red flag.

I would never download or install software that isn't available directly from the developer, and which only appears on a third party downloading service. Doing so isn't at all a good idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacUpate, and similar file downloading services, haven't been safe for many years now. To make money they include adware and malware with their downloads. The prudent thing to do is to NEVER download software from such a service, and to only download your software from either Apple's App Store, or directly from the software developer's Web site.

Burn is an open source project, hosted on SourceForge. I gave the link to it. SourceForge isn't showing the more recent versions that appear on MacUpdate. It's extremely troubling that the more recent versions ONLY appear on MacUpdate. MacUpdate isn't a primary source of software, and it is highly suspect. Why don't the more recent versions appear on the developer's site (SourceForge)? This is a huge red flag.

I would never download or install software that isn't available directly from the developer, and which only appears on a third party downloading service. Doing so isn't at all a good idea.

Randy. If you'd actually download the app via the SourceForge project page, you'd see it is current to what MU shows, AND it's a 64-bit Universal binary. Please see my last post.

You are 100% correct about downloading from MU. I find them useful as a reference when looking for software options, but no way would I ever advocate acquiring from them. Direct from the developer is the way to go.

EDIT: my 2nd post the other day was a link to the MU listing, and wasn't intended to be construed as a suggestion to get it from them, but the URL was automatically parsed by M-F to display the page's headers which promote downloading it from them. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future and maybe include a disclaimer to NOT download from them if I feel the need to otherwise post a reference to their listings.

2nd EDIT: I just took a gander at the MU download page. They DO NOT host the download! If one follows the prompts, you actually get re-directed to the developer's page. This very much is a change from past behavior... they were self-hosting at least some apps for a period. They may still host apps that have been abandoned, which I would still approach with caution and consider alternatives.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I don't know about "similar file downloading services" but I would strongly suggest that saying MacUpate is not safe for downloading Mac software is erroneous and quite out of date based on some episodes that happened many years ago to them and others.

I have not found any such malware or corrupted software I have downloaded from their site for years, unlike some crippled software I have downloaded from the Apple Store.

MacUpate even provides an option for safe downloading that can pre-scan any software if the user wants.

Many reputable Mac support sites also support my comments about downloading safe software from MacUpate, ie:

The statement that MacUpate is not safe and includes malware and other nasty additions is erroneous and very out-of-date these days and is a disservice to many users to keep repeating that it is IMHO.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The statement that MacUpate is not safe and includes malware and other nasty additions is erroneous and very out-of-date these days and is a disservice to many users to keep repeating that it is IMHO.
On the other hand, I have had real issues with MU where the downloaded installers installed "other" stuff that was not what I had downloaded, and which was very hard to get rid of. So, I don't go to MU for anything and cannot recommend it. They may have changed tactics and stopped the "bundling" process, but they lost my trust and won't get it back.

I guess it's "buyer beware" in this case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the other hand, I have had real issues with MU where the downloaded installers installed "other" stuff that was not what I had downloaded, and which was very hard to get rid of.

@Jake
I am very sorry and quite surprised to read of your unfortunate MacUpate contaminated download experience which I gather you had done fairly recently or within the last several years.

Did you let MacUpate know of your experience perhaps???

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know about "similar file downloading services" but I would strongly suggest that saying MacUpate is not safe for downloading Mac software is erroneous and quite out of date based on some episodes that happened many years ago to them and others.

I have not found any such malware or corrupted software I have downloaded from their site for years, unlike some crippled software I have downloaded from the Apple Store.

MacUpate even provides an option for safe downloading that can pre-scan any software if the user wants.

Many reputable Mac support sites also support my comments about downloading safe software from MacUpate, ie:

MacUpdate definitely was bundling adware at one point with self-hosted copies of developer software. MalwareBytes has an article from 2015 documenting this. Yes, I know MB as a less-than-stellar rep today, but this article was written by Thomas Reed, developer of AdWare Medic which was held in high regard and bought out by MB before they became "problematic" in their own ways. I very much recall this problem with MU and adware back then also. They don't appear to be doing this now, but that doesn't mean that they won't go back to doing it again at some point The site is now owned and run by the people who develop MacKeeper, so that little fact should speak for itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.