• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

dvd to quicktime or mpeg?

F

faketrout

I read over some of the TV tuner threads and dvd backup discussions here but none really addressed my main curiosity...

I have some DVDs I'd like to take clips of for a project (read: not bootlegging) and then assemble them in iMovie or Final Cut express 2. Basically, I'm starting to get into editing and I'd like to try my hand at making some music videos and trailers out of existing footage so I can practice on the cheap before I set out with my camera to do stuff for real. totally non-commercial.

So I assume I'd have to download some of these DVD decoder programs just to lift the footage and audio off the disc, but can I convert them into a form that iMovie or Final Cut can read?
Since I'm not interested in backing up or copying movies, source quality isn't a major concern. Would I be better off just getting a TV tuner to record from an outside dvd player?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Wouldn't it be easier and go to the park and shoot some video. Then play with the footage you just shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
I would convert them to Quicktime. iMovie, iDVD, Final Cut and others can read them just fine. If you choose MPEG, remember that DVDs are MPEG 2 and most converters I have seen on the Mac go to MPEG 4. This required iMovie or iDVD to convert it back to burn to DVD again.

Jerry

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Toast 6 can also be used to create DVDs.

OP
F

faketrout

I don't want to make DVDs.

I also don't have anything to shoot at parks. I live in Wisconsin, and even though spring is around the corner, its still about as barren as you can imagine here. I haven't even seen an insect in 6 months. Plus doing a short documentary at an anime convention proved to me that even the most free spirits tend to lock up and be intimidated by a camera.

I reiterate my orignal question: HOW do I take footage from a dvd and convert it to a format useable in final cut or imovie?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your questions still stands. i was just wondering, because it would be easier to just shoot some video.

I know someone here can answer your question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
After opening iDVD and iMovie, it looks pretty easy. You can drag movies in to iDVD and just edit them, though I have none to try it on right now. I have not tried Final Cut yet, don't know when I may try that.

OP
F

faketrout

witeshark said:
After opening iDVD and iMovie, it looks pretty easy. You can drag movies in to iDVD and just edit them, though I have none to try it on right now. I have not tried Final Cut yet, don't know when I may try that.

Maybe that works on planet neptune where you live, but just taking a plain old dvd and dragging it to ANYTHING gives an error message. I have to wonder if you're just screwing with me and were aware that iDVD wouldn't rip a dvd movie or if you're actually a gigantic retard. Either you've been no help and a colossal waste of time, thanks.

this goes ditto to the other maroons in this thread who never read my question but made random responses about semi related topics that hindered my progress even further.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
Hey,

I use Macthe Ripper (available on MacUpdate.com) to convert the DVD to something I can use. Make it an AVI and you can then open it in an editor and crop it down to what you need.

I know you want to be able to convert only the little piece you need and this will convert the whole movie but I don't know of any other method.

Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
faketrout said:
Maybe that works on planet neptune where you live, but just taking a plain old dvd and dragging it to ANYTHING gives an error message. I have to wonder if you're just screwing with me and were aware /<snip>
No one here posts but to try to help no one tries to hinder another's progress in my case I posted what I knew at the time and in 3 lines -if it wasted any of your time then who's retarded? :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/12987

This can take a DVD into an .avi which I "THINK" can be used in FCE 2 but I'm pretty sure it wont be possible to use in iMovie unless you convert it to a .mov file, I forget what programs I used to do that though.

It might be possible to convert it with Quiktime pro if you got it.

Well, hope Handbrake leads you into the right direction :)

OP
C

chris041067

sKaD said:
http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/12987

This can take a DVD into an .avi which I "THINK" can be used in FCE 2 but I'm pretty sure it wont be possible to use in iMovie unless you convert it to a .mov file, I forget what programs I used to do that though.

It might be possible to convert it with Quiktime pro if you got it.

Well, hope Handbrake leads you into the right direction :)

yep, if you can get the dvd into a format quicktime can open then you can use qt pro and crop/export the video to your liking

OP
K

kweenelmer

people keep recommending mac he ripper but i cant figure out how to make it convert to mpeg or mov.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you can use mactheripper to rip the dvd, then use forty-two dvd vxplus to convert it to avi, the use divx doctor 2 to convert to a quicktime .mov. its a lot, but relly simple and gets the job done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
also, forty two dvd vx plus can convert dvd formats into dvd quality avi files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.