• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD ROM Ripp

Reaction score
Hi I bought a toutorial DVD-ROM but I don't want to carry the DVD with me while I travel so I made a disc Image on Toast 7 and 8 and when I mount it, it says "copy protection, please insert the original disc" is there any way ripp that protection? I've tried MTR and MediaFork and DVD Ripper For Mac but they don't work or I don't know how to do it.
Please help!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If MTR won't read/rip it, your SOL...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have found that there are some DVDs, I just can't rip. If you get hold of an beta copy of MTR 3 R14d, you can try that. You can also copy it with MTR 2.6.6 and try using DVD2OneX to remove any so called "Zero-Cells", but that may or may not work.

Other than that, you may just be stuck.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try Drive-in.
Program from the flip4mac developers.
It does not break the encryption, but it does allow you to copy a disk to your hard drive and play it from there without the disk. The software doesn't allow you to burn another copy.
It is not free, but does have a free trial so you can try it out. I just installed it a few days ago. So far it has worked flawlessly on the few disks I have tried. Don't think I have tried one of the zero cell disks yet, but will and report back.

So far, looks like this may be a very good app, if you are only looking to copy a disk you own in order to play it from your system while traveling and such.

baggss - if you can give me a few titles you haven't been able to rip, I should own one of them and will give it a go

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.