DVD-R meets Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

Reaction score
Hi Team,

This is our first time here. We are wondering if a DVD-R will run on the above-referenced system. This post may appear more than once as we navigate around here. Thank you for taking the time to read and consider our post.

Richard and Katherine

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm using this external drive. The specs say it can be used with Yosemite. If I remember correctly I used it successfully with Yosemite on my 2008 MacBook Pro. Most external USB drives should work. At one time OWC had several drives a few of which were cheaper if you do not want/need Blu-Ray burning capability.

BTW I'm moving this thread to a different area of the forum that seems more appropriate than the switcher forum. No need to post the question in several areas. That usually creates more confusion and results in answers being scattered over multiple threads.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank You, Slydude

I'm using this external drive. The specs say it can be used with Yosemite. If I remember correctly I used it successfully with Yosemite on my 2008 MacBook Pro. Most external USB drives should work. At one time OWC had several drives a few of which were cheaper if you do not want/need Blu-Ray burning capability.

BTW I'm moving this thread to a different area of the forum that seems more appropriate than the switcher forum. No need to post the question in several areas. That usually creates more confusion and results in answers being scattered over multiple threads.

Hi Slydude,

Thank you for your prompt response. We made our best guess on the Switcher Forum.

Richard

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. No problem. I've gotten things in the wrong area a few times myself.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@papagena, Richard & Katherine,

If, by your question, you mean:

Can you write to a blank DVD-R. Yes. Ditto CD-R

Will an uncopywrighted DVD-R play. Yes. Ditto CD-R.

In fact, as far back as I can remember (OS Leopard in my case), CD-R and DVD-R could be written to or played and this is still the case with my two iMacs, one on Mavericks & the other El Capitan.

If I've misinterpreted your question, just say.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.