DVD Problem

Reaction score
First, Hope I'm in the right place. Now, the problem. I burned a DVD of data files. When I put the DVD into my machine, it acts as if it is a blank DVD, but with only the space the was unused listed as Available. So let say I put 3 gigs of Data on the DVD, it now looks like a new DVD with 1.7 gigs available. And I tried it on many machines and it is the same thing. My fault, I usually check my DVD before trashing the data. Oops on my this time. Anyway, does anyone know of a way to get information off a DVD that does this? BTW, I am running on a iMac with 10.6.8 and plenty of power.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What program did you use to store the data on the DVD and did you finalize the session or leave it open? If the latter, its possible that's the problem. Of course, finalizing a DVD with space available might be wasteful..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome back. (You've been a member for a long time.)

As to your problem, the only thing I can think of is that you didn't burn the data correctly so that it could be read or possibly you didn't close the DVD. (by not writing the TOC)

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. No, this happens every once in a while. Don't know why. Just pop a blank DVD into my machine, drag the files I want to copy and hit burn. I know I burn them properly but every now and them they come up this way. Also, as for wasting space on the DVD, that really has nothing to do with it as I am not concerned with that. DVD are cheap enough.

I do want to express that fact I really appreciate you talking an interest in my problem and I don't want to sound like a jerk but just to be clear, I am not concerned with Why this happened, what I can do to correct this problem, or the amount of space I use on a DVD. All I am asking is if anyone knows of a way to get information off a DVD that has this problem,

Thanks very much

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All I am asking is if anyone knows of a way to get information off a DVD that has this problem,

I believe Stellar Data Recovery is what you may be able to use. I've used them before to retrieve data off a CD that had basically the same thing happen as your DVD. Not sure if they have a trial version or not. Let us know if it works for you.

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks again but no, it didn't work. The DVD doesn't show up in the software window, Probably since it thinks it a blank disk? Not sure. Oh well, I'll just take this as a lesson to always double check my data before throwing it away. My bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.