DVD drive not recognised

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can get hold of a double ended USB cable, try using that to attach the drive to two ports at once. I have a 2017 27" iMac and have had to do the same thing on occasion with some of my DVD drives. It could be that your iMac is not providing enough power to the drive in order for it to be recognized by the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I am not an OP, I'm a free man

You do know OP = Original Post or Original Poster, right?

As for the DVD player you've certainly tried everything I can think of to suggest. About all I can say is to try a hub that plugs into the iMac, then plug the drive into that. It's a really looooooooooong shot, frankly, but at this point it's that or get a different DVD drive and try that.

OP
R
Reaction score
For those of you following this thread and wondering if it was ever resolved, I finally cracked it by buying a powered usb hub, though I'm still intrigued as to why it should have stopped working in the first place

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
For those of you following this thread and wondering if it was ever resolved, I finally cracked it by buying a powered usb hub, though I'm still intrigued as to why it should have stopped working in the first place

Thank you. Appreciate the feedback.

Ian

krs

Reaction score
I didn't read through the whole thread, but I had a similar situation I posted about on the forum a while back.
I ran ElCapitan with my wired keyboard and mouse connected to an unpowered USB hub for years with no problems (related to that)
Then I upgraded to Mojave and the keyboard and mouse connected via that USB hub was no longer. recognized.
Recognizing what the problem was and how to corrected was pretty obvious that time since I received the message that there was no keyboard connected when I could plainly see that it was.
I connected the keyboard directly and everything was fine.
Seems Mojave is somehow checking for some parameters on the USB port and when they are not there, won't recognize the attached device.
Makes sense if the connected USB device requires more power than an unpowered hub can provide, but it certainly didn't make sense for just a keyboard and mouse connected to the hub.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wonder if the same thing would occur when using an older Apple full sized keyboard with the built in USB 2 hub? I have two of those keyboards laying around in my spare parts closet; maybe I'll try one out to see if I can attach a USB mouse and printer.

krs

Reaction score
I wonder if the same thing would occur when using an older Apple full sized keyboard with the built in USB 2 hub?
I think that's what I'm using.
It's a full size Apple aluminum keyboard with white keys and a number pad.
The built-in hub is USB 2.0
I think the part number is A 1243, but it's hard to read.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked the model numbers on my two keyboards: Both say "A 1243" although one came with a 2011 21.5" iMac and the other one was purchased separately at a military exchange store.

The 27" 2013 iMac that I gave to my son came with a wireless keyboard that contained batteries. My current 2017 27" iMac came with a rechargeable wireless keyboard.

I'm going to try the A 1243 with a wired mouse and printer attached to see if it works okay. Will let you know.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried it with the A 1243 and it works okay. I printed from my HP LaserJet which is USB only and at the same time using a wired mouse, both via the built in USB 2 hub. No errors.

Other than all the extra wires (which I don't like) it works. As a matter of fact, I didn't remember how much better the A 1243 keyboard was in comparison to the rechargeable wireless model. I'm a touch typist and can go much faster and easier with the full sized keyboard than the smaller wireless model.

krs

Reaction score
I just tried it with the A 1243 and it works okay. I printed from my HP LaserJet which is USB only and at the same time using a wired mouse, both via the built in USB 2 hub. No errors.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear -
The problem was connecting the keyboard to the Mac via an unpowered USB hub - nothing to do with the built-in USB hub that is part of the keyboard.
I had a 4-port non-powered USB 3.0 hub which I hadplugged into one of the 2012 USB 3.0ports on the Mini.
The A1243 keyboard was plugged into that 4-port USB 3.0 hub.
That worked fine when running ElCapitan but when I upgradedto Mojave the keyboard plugged into the 4-port USB hub (which was plugged into the Mini) was no longer recognized.
When I then plugged the keyboard into the Mac directly everything was fine.
I eventually ended up plugging the keyboard into a powered 4-port USB hub that is part of the Dell monitor I'm using - and that works fine as well.

I also seem to remember someone tried this with Catalina and Catalina didn't have that problem

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I thought you were going directly from the A 1243.

It doesn't make any sense why Mojave would balk at that connection and yet it ran okay with El Capitan?

The A 1243 keyboard should not be drawing any more USB power from your non powered hub unless you had devices attached to the keyboard's hub. Must be something about the connection that Mojave doesn't like.

BTW, I favor Dell monitors. Not sure who makes them for Dell, (might be LG) but they're definitely nice monitors. I especially like the Dell hi-res 32" model with built in hub. (can't afford it though) $$$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As a matter of fact, I didn't remember how much better the A 1243 keyboard was in comparison to the rechargeable wireless model. I'm a touch typist and can go much faster and easier with the full sized keyboard than the smaller wireless model.

OT: And it's very unfortunate that Apple stopped creating and supplying those keyboards. They always seem to do that sort of thing with their good products. Makes no sense at all...

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
Okay, I thought you were going directly from the A 1243.

It doesn't make any sense why Mojave would balk at that connection and yet it ran okay with El Capitan?
It sure doesn't.
All I had connected to the keyboard USB hub was a mouse on one port, nothing on the other port.

I think it has something to do with the software monitoring the power the hub can deliver.
Seems that waschanged between ElCapitan and Mojave since that macOS upgrade was the only difference - same hub, same keyboard with a mouse attched.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.