dvd drive engages when booting up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 2.53 core duo 4gb ram mid 2009
hi all,
this has only just started and wonder if anyone else has had this problem.
everytime i boot up the dvd/cd player engages and disengages and its driving me nuts or is it a sign that its on its way out?????
cheers for your input in advance.:Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
you mean that sort of double whir sound and it also happens when you wake up the computer? I think that's normal, since the optical drive is slot-loading it needs to check of there is a dvd/cd that could have moved around during transport

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 2.53 core duo 4gb ram mid 2009
yep it does whir but it makes virtually the same sound when it loads a disc as if the head is travelling from start to end disc position and it is loud,it never used to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
If it didnt spin up during a restart you would never be able to load an OS....so yep its normal.

Clay

Reaction score
Mine does some sort of "beeping" sound time to time. I'm pretty sure it comes from dvd drive (no disc in it), but don't know. I was told once it is hard drive (WD Blue 400GB), but I think it's dvd drive, that's where the sound seems to come from. Sound comes time to time when Macbook is turned on, no matter if it's idling or used...

Late 2008 Macbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.