• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Dual monitors

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
hi

can someone give me the low down on why some
users run two monitors from a mac?

what's the benefit or purpose?

thank you

K

Kokopelli

More screen real estate. It is always useful. if you have ever had to switch back and forth between apps to follow something you could use a second monitor.

Set up your IM, mail, and iTunes on one monitor and do work or surf on the other. The possibilities are endless.

Reaction score
Reason 1:

People have alot of money and like to show off. Or they jstu have spare monitors and use both.

Reason 2:

They do some video or picture editing and they need the extra room to fit everything. Like they can have the main photoshop window on one monitor, and all their toolboxes and toolbars on the other monitor. Just so one monitor doesnt get filled with windows.

beat me 2 it :)

E

EvoMac

For the price of 2 monitors wouldn't people be better off to buy a 20 / 23 / 24 inch wide screen?

Then again the cool factor kicks in and to get it off the screen completely is nice 2.

K

Kokopelli

I use dual monitors with my 12" PB and my 12" X31. (Usually not at the same time though.) it means when I am at home or the office I have plenty of space to work in but i am not giving myself a hernia carrying around 2 17" behemoths.

Of course soon (according to Dell Friday) I will have my PB and 24" of LCD goodness. :)

E

EvoMac

Kokopelli said:
Of course soon (according to Dell Friday) I will have my PB and 24" of LCD goodness. :)

Nice, there better be some pics here by Friday night of that monitor and your setup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
itloser said:
For the price of 2 monitors wouldn't people be better off to buy a 20 / 23 / 24 inch wide screen?

If you're truly loaded (or your employer gives you a blank check) there's no reason why you couldn't have two 20/23/24" screens. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
itloser said:

Then again the cool factor kicks in and to get it off the screen completely is nice 2.

I got my two great 17" monitors for the price of 19". (Two Dell 17" analog LCDs for $558US.) I needed more horizontal real estate for timelines and palettes. With 20/23/24 there's still some moving around of tool palettes to keep from occluding your workspace. Also I can keep 1280x1024 on each and still have lots of screen. :)

K

Kokopelli

The warnings are there for a reason. Is it safe to use? Probably, but there is no gaurantee. Ask around and see if others have used it. (Non-hacked support for split screens was one of the reasons I got a PB.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.