Dual monitor "DVID Out of Range"

Reaction score
Up til a day or two ago I happily ran two Nec large LCD monitors off my Mac Pro 2,1 (OS 10.6.8)

Yesterday I tried to tweak the resolutions in system preferences and now I can only run one. Every time I plug the other one in I get the "out of range" message.

Really stuck for what to do :(

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I suspect the monitor causing problems has been inadvertently set to a resolution that is not supported. Try the following:

1.With the second monitor attached open the Displays preference pane.
2. There should be an option to gather all windows or something like that.
3. Click there and it should move all the preference pane windows to one screen.
4. Select the window for the problem monitor and choose "Default for Display".

I'd be more specific but I don't have the second monitor attached at the moment.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just curious because I don't run two monitors, but couldn't he just hook up the monitors one at a time? The out of range monitor could be isolated that way where he could then reset its resolution or refresh rate. (I don't know if refresh can be selected with the graphic adapters available for the Mac Pro.)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't think there will be much trouble identifying the out of range monitor. When you have both attached and you click one of the blue screen icons in the Displays pane that monitors border turns red.

@soly If what I suggested above doesn't work check the monitor's documentation. Some of them have a procedure for resetting the monitor to factory settings.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for all this advice.

I've done some testing...

• Either monitor will work individually at their highest resolution when plugged into the l/hand port.

• When either monitor is plugged into the r/hand port on its own it displays 'out of range'.

• When both monitors are plugged in they both display 'out of range'.

• Whenever 'out of range' is displayed, it does not seem to be possible to use the mouse or keyboard to get information from either screen or to turn the blue borders red etc.

• If I change to resolution on either monitor singly (say down to 800x 600) it does not seem to make any difference to any of the above.

Wondering if the graphics card could have developed a fault?

This is what the Get Info says about the card:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 32768 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0393
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3011
Displays:
Display Connector:
EA261WM:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Television: Yes

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like a graphics card defect. Do you have another that you can substitute to find out if the 7300 GT is defective?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
• Either monitor will work individually at their highest resolution when plugged into the l/hand port.

• When either monitor is plugged into the r/hand port on its own it displays 'out of range'.

This seems the key info to me. If both monitors (individually) work when plugged into the "left-hand" port…and neither monitor works (individually) when plugged into the "right-hand" port. Then it sounds like that right-hand port could have a problem.

One easy thing you could try is…remove the video card & reinstall it. Sometimes video cards can get jarred…and do "funky" things. If the problem remains after the reinstall…the video card may have issues. You could also try installing the video card in a different slot.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Be sure to try PRAM reset before anything more expensive.
(PRAM remembers monitor resolution - I don't know if it remembers two)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.