Dual Boot Issue

Reaction score
Is it possible to duel boot Mavericks and Snow Leopard on a new IMac?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Is it possible to duel boot Mavericks and Snow Leopard on a new IMac?

On a new one? No. If it's literally the new ones just released last week, then you likely can't run Mavericks either and are "stuck" with Yosemite.

EDIT: You could just buy Snow Leopard Server and run that in a virtual machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think of it this way. There is no going back to an operating system older than your Mac. What it came with is as far as it can go back without running a vm. Why do you want Snow Leopard, a system no longer supported by Apple with no Security Updates?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your response. The reason is because I want to install a copy of Final Cut Pro, which was running on Snow Leopard on a power PC, I don't think the version of final cut pro will run on mavericks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, thanks for your response. The reason is because I want to install a copy of Final Cut Pro, which was running on Snow Leopard on a power PC, I don't think the version of final cut pro will run on mavericks.

Snow Leopard doesn't run on PowerPC Macs. Intel only.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry some confusion, Snow Leopard to support Final Cut Pro.

So just to confirm, there no way Snow Leopard can be installed on second hard drive partition on an IMAc 14,2 installed with OS X 10.9.3?

Could Final Cut be installed as it is or would the only option be to run it in a virtual Snow Leopard environment, or upgrade Final Cut Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry some confusion, Snow Leopard to support Final Cut Pro.

So just to confirm, there no way Snow Leopard can be installed on second hard drive partition on an IMAc 14,2 installed with OS X 10.9.3?

Could Final Cut be installed as it is or would the only option be to run it in a virtual Snow Leopard environment, or upgrade Final Cut Pro?

Uh yeah, lots of confusion here. So you have an iMac 14,2, which would be the late 2013 model. You can only boot Mountain Lion and onwards, or Windows 7 64 bit and later. To be clear on this.... YOU CANNOT BOOT SNOW LEOPARD!!!! It's not possible, it doesn't have the hardware drivers for your model, it simply is not going to happen. As before, you can buy the server version and run that in a virtual machine if need be.

As for running Final Cut Pro, well you didn't tell us which version you have.

OP
M
Reaction score
Final Cut Studio 2

including

Final Cut Pro 6
Soundtrack Pro 2
DVD Studio Pro 4
Motion 3
Compressor 4

OP
M
Reaction score
Not sure what the difference between visualization and emulation (surely it means the same thing)

but could I install Snow Leopard using Virtual Box For Mac, then install Final Cut Pro in snow leopard

Or use an emulator such as PearPC.

I take it also the performance of Final Cut will be compromised

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure what the difference between visualization and emulation (surely it means the same thing)

but could I install Snow Leopard using Virtual Box For Mac, then install Final Cut Pro in snow leopard

Or use an emulator such as PearPC.

I take it also the performance of Final Cut will be compromised

A virtual machine like Virtual Box doesn't have to emulate hardware. In the case of VirtualBox, which is designed for Intel-based operating systems to run in a VM on Intel hardware, the virtualized machine runs much closer to native speeds. If you were to run PearPC, that software has to emulate the PPC hardware, something that is VERY resource intensive. But you couldn't do that with Snow Leopard anyway because, as stated before, Snow Leopard is an Intel-based OS exclusively!!!!!! Just to be clear... you can ONLY run Snow Leopard in a virtual machine like VirtualBox, Parallels, or VMWare. PearPC cannot emulate Intel hardware, which would make no sense to do on Intel hardware, so it can't run Snow Leopard.

If you insist on this route, try running it in Snow Leopard Server in VirtualBox or VMWare. There will be a performance hit, but I have no idea how much of one. But honestly, you should just get a new version of Final Cut and move on with the times.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK, well I think you have helped me explore all possibilities, but it looks like its probably better to buy the latest version of Final Cut Pro also as there is no guarantee after buying snow leopard sever, parallels or equivalent, that it will run at all, And if it does I guess the performance would def not be optimum, something you need for this type of program. which almost certainly accesses the video driver directly on a Power PC.

It will also run natively on the I Mac, so performance should be much greater than ever it was with V6 on the Power PC.

The only question I now have is does anyone know if the Latest Final Cut Pro, which i believe iv version X, loads or imports projects that were created on the power PC. I'm sure if it doesn't there must be a utility out there that will convert it

Many Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.