Dual 1.8 G5 Power PC won't read CD's/DVD's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
hey all,

this just started happening a little while ago. my work computer (dual 1.8 G5 Power PC) stopped reading data DVD+R and CDr plus purchased music CDs. it will read system DVDs fine and can burn CDs/DVDs fine. but when a client sends a disc, i have to move to another computer and upload to the server thru the network.

Nothing happens when i insert a disc. it doesnt mount, but it also doesnt spit it back out and gives a "this disk is unreadable etc.." message. my finder prefs are also set correctly.

maybe zap PRAM or reset the PRAM button? any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'd suggest that it's a laser lens problem, since the disks are remaining in the tray. Why it continues to read system disks and not others is a mystery at this stage.

Have you tried a cleaner disk? I've never used one, and some question its effectiveness, but that's where I'd start.

OP
mcjacksonnelson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
ill look into a cleaner disk. thanks. just weird that it burns discs fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.