Drives got "renamed" ????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
I opened Disk Utility to erase a flash drive and found this. I immediately ran "First Aid" on both volumes and they came back good (Green check mark). Needless to say I didn't insert the flash drive ... Other than this issue, my iMac is running fine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Mike

01.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Catalina creates a "Container disk1" and then installs two volumes in that "Container".

The first volume should be named: "Macintosh HD" and is read only. It has your system files and access is restricted to read only.

The second volume is named "Macintosh HD Data" and has your home user folder including apps and documents. You have read - write access to that volume.

Okay...The name of the first volume is missing and it appears the overall naming scheme is messed up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It looks like you accidentally renamed your internal drive to”’”. Does that disk name also show in Finder? If so, you can rename it back to “Macintosh HD”.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
Thank you for your reply. I did a secondary click and noticed the "Rename" option. Can I safely rename it to "Macintosh HD"?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
Hi Bob,

Yes the disk shows up in finder. I did rename it to "Macintosh HD" then the second volume renamed itself to "Macintosh HD - Data".

Mike

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
Thank you both for helping me on this. I don't know how this happened but I'm glad it's back to where it was; much appreciated.

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
hi mike this does happen quite easily

but we are all glad you got it sorted,

let us know if you need any further help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.