Downloading an older version of Garage Band...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
Hi,

I have an iMac and I'm using Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. This version of the operating system was installed onto my iMac at the Genius Bar/ Apple Store about 18 months ago. Now, I thought that Garage Band came bundled as part of the operating system download but apparently not in my case as I don't have it but I would like to start using it.

I looked into downloading Garage Band on the internet and the download is free but the current version of Garage band being offered is 10.3.4 and the download info says you must have Mac OS 10.13.6 or later to use this version. Now, as I have 10.12.6 and I'm unable to download a later operating system due to hardware limitations of my iMac, I'm wondering if it's possible to download an earlier version of Garage Band that will work with my iMac and how do I go about doing that?

Also, I'm looking for something that can play various audio file formats on my iMac or convert audio file types so I can play them, listen to them. My current problem is that I cannot play MP4 files sent to me on my computer but I think I should plan for the future and get something that can read and play (or convert) many types of audio files. I guess I'd prefer a free program but if it's not too expensive and still suits my needs, that would be fine also. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Bob M.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Most MP4 files can be played using the QuickTime Player app on your computer. Have you tried using that program to open those files?

Reaction score
Also, I'm looking for something that can play various audio file formats on my iMac or convert audio file types so I can play them, listen to them. My current problem is that I cannot play MP4 files sent to me on my computer but I think I should plan for the future and get something that can read and play (or convert) many types of audio files. I guess I'd prefer a free program but if it's not too expensive and still suits my needs, that would be fine also. Any recommendations?

Normally MP4 files contain video, not just audio. But VLC Media Player should be able to handle just about any MP4 file (assuming it's not corrupted) just fine, whereas sometimes QuickTime is not able to decode it:

Official Download of VLC media player for Mac OS X - VideoLAN

VLC can also convert MP4 to MP3 (audio only).

AS FOR GARAGEBAND:

I'm not sure if you'll be able to download a compatible copy from online. Just to be sure about your iMac's compatibility with High Sierra, click on the Apple logo at the top left of your screen, then click About This Mac. Underneath the operating system name/version, it should say iMac, followed by the screen size and model year. I believe if it's late 2009 or newer, you should be able to install High Sierra (10.13). If it's older than that, I would suggest seriously considering looking for a newer iMac on the used market. If that's not an option, you can look for maybe an iLife '11 disc on eBay.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Have you called the Apple/Genius Bar, you had install Sierra? They should be able to help you get a version of Garage Band for that OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

A great alternative to VLC is IINA. It's "lighter" than VLC and very snappy. Like VLC, it will play pretty much anything. For converting one audio format to another, the single absolute best tool I've run across is X Lossless Decoder (aka XLD). It can convert most of the common formats, with a wide range of tuning options. It can also batch convert files.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions here. I was able to get GarageBand - the latest version 10.3.4 but first I had to download a new MacOS operating system, High Sierra, 10.13.6. I wasn't sure if I was able to do this with the iMac I have but I tried it and it downloaded and works fine. So then I downloaded the free and current version of GarageBand from the App Store and that downloaded just fine also.

For an audio player, I've decided to audition both VLC and IINA and use them both for a while and see which fits my needs best. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bob M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@Bob M.
I was able to get GarageBand - the latest version 10.3.4 but first I had to download a new MacOS operating system, High Sierra, 10.13.6. I wasn't sure if I was able to do this with the iMac I have

For such questions and more about your particular Mac model, check out the specs and limits for your particular model here:
Mac Specs, Prices, Answers and Comparison: EveryMac.com, Est. 1996

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions here. I was able to get GarageBand - the latest version 10.3.4 but first I had to download a new MacOS operating system, High Sierra, 10.13.6. I wasn't sure if I was able to do this with the iMac I have but I tried it and it downloaded and works fine. So then I downloaded the free and current version of GarageBand from the App Store and that downloaded just fine also.

For an audio player, I've decided to audition both VLC and IINA and use them both for a while and see which fits my needs best. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bob M.

Awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Bob M.

Sounds like a plan. I keep both around. I like IINA mostly, though for videos I do find VLC is more color accurate. VLC is also a LOT more sluggish with videos in particular when skipping around. Either should perform well with audio though. If you have any particular questions about usability, feel free to ask. IINA is still very much a work in progress and any key bindings you may want to change in the preferences that you can't find can be worked around in other ways.

Reaction score
VLC is also a LOT more sluggish with videos in particular when skipping around.

Hmm...I haven't really experienced that as the norm even on my older iMac. Maybe from time to time, though nothing stands out to my memory. Anyway, doesn't hurt to have options!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm...I haven't really experienced that as the norm even on my older iMac. Maybe from time to time, though nothing stands out to my memory. Anyway, doesn't hurt to have options!

It's more likely to happen I think if you are skipping around a lot in one session. Right now, just to refresh my memory on how it behaved, it seemed fine when jumping around using the keyboard "Step Forward/Backward" commands, then it suddenly seized up on a frame and stopped playing. I was doing some TV episode screen caps for a web site a while back and was using VLC because the color accuracy was a bit better, but this issue was highly irritating. IINA in comparison is buttery smooth to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.