Download Music in Canada?

N

natey

Apple's iTunes site doesn't work in Canada -- it only works in the U S of A. What's a canadian to do?

I've been wanting one of these new iPods, but I've been putting it off simply because us Canadians don't have an option for downloading music leagally. Illegally, we do, of course.

There's a place called puretracks, but it doesn't work with mac's and it only downloads WMA files, which wont work in the iPod. There's another canadian place (I forget the name), but it's the same deal: it's not mac friendly, and it dishes out WMA files.

So far, I've been unable to find a canadian (and mac) friendly legal music downloading joint. Well, actually, I hear that it's leagal to download, just illegal to upload, or something silly like that. Who knows. I know that the music companies are trying to sue 22 canadians, but the courts haven't allowed them to. In the USA, they are suing 522, and I heard that the courts have filed for another 500 suings this summer.

I usually buy CDs, but I'd like to download single songs too -- cause some CDs have one or two good songs, and the rest are icky. Believe me, I have enough of those types of CDs. Other artists, however, have CDs full of great songs (that's when I buy the whole album).

And, of course, I can just use iTunes to copy all of my CDs, then pick the songs I want, and copy them into my (future) iPod. That'd work. But I'd still like the 99 cent download thing to work in Canada, so I can get newer songs.

I supposed I could use virtual PC, and then try to see if i could use it to go onto puretracks. -- but then I'd have to use windows X(tra) P(roblems). Oh well, I can't have it all, can I? But of course, I'd run into the WMA problem. I guess I can convert the file (how, with what program?)

Oh, what's a canadian supposed to do. Oh my, oh my...

--nate :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Why doesn't iTunes work in Ca? Is it a legal issue? It seems if you get an iTunes account and go to the Apple iTunes music store on line you should be able to download... But you can't? By what mechanism are you unable?

OP
W

WilliS

get a really really long eithernet cable... and run it to the closest boarder to the united states...at which point, i will connect you to the nearest house on broadband... and you will be good to go :)

hehe uh... sounds like an issue that im sure they will be fixing in the near future? im sure many people outside of the united states listen to music as well ;) so they will probably be expanding soon.

might it be that youre paying with a currency called the "loonie' ? lol just a thought ;)

hehe sorry..i just got finished watching robin williams, live on broadway...he makes some funny jokes about the canadians :)

and if apple doesnt come out with a canadian solution soon, i would say you wont be held responsible for united states laws anyway.... does canadia even have copywrite laws? :p

OP
D

danielos

witeshark said:
Why doesn't iTunes work in Ca? Is it a legal issue? It seems if you get an iTunes account and go to the Apple iTunes music store on line you should be able to download... But you can't? By what mechanism are you unable?

Because of the record companies. to use iTMS you must have a billing address in the U.S. or its territorys/bases. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I see. That makes sense now. Well maybe they can include Canada someday. It's not so far. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
*cough, cough*

A green citrus fruit and copper wire, comes to mind...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.